Sign in to follow this  
all systems

Lettered my van

I bought my MH-871 specifically to do this.

This was my first project and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I did both sides and the front as well as the back.

Now I know why sign shops charge so much for something that seems like it would be so simple.

Very labor intensive although I learned a lot of things that would make doing this much easier next time.

post-13856-12986566478166_thumb.jpg

post-13856-12986566507241_thumb.jpg

You should hace charged more ... your time was worth MUCH more than that ( Tounge in Cheek humor  ;) ) . Nice job . VERY readable & easy to get the contact info . I think that is the most important part in doing a work vehicle . I just got a Dodge van & it has windows on the passenger side . I have not figured out how how I am going to letter that side yet .. If yours has windows on the other side , what did you do ?

I thought most in your area just popped the windows out and replaced them with cardboard? ;) Problem solved! :D

And nice job btw! Looks 'clean' and easy to read (as others have already pointed out)

My insurance agent told me to take my magnetic signs off and not to advertise on the truck just in case I get into an accident... Cuts down on how much they have to pay out I guess... Well the magnetic signs look good on the doors in the shop and they hold up all those menus nicely - and with the signs off, I have more room for vinyl! ;)

I thought ...    

When did you start that ?   ;) ;) :D

Right side , my insurance agent told me the same thing years ago . I had a 1 ton dump truck insured as personal use . Since I did not have it insured as commercial , the lettering in the eyes of the insurance company ( Allstate ) made it deemed commercial & they would try to deny coverage . He also told me to never let an employee drive it in case of an accident ( I didn't have any emploees , so i did not have to wory about that ) . I could have a 1 ton dump truck for personal use but the advertisement took it out of the personal use coverage .

I thought ...    

When did you start that ?   ;):D;D

Right side , my insurance agent told me the same thing years ago . I had a 1 ton dump truck insured as personal use . Since I did not have it insured as commercial , the lettering in the eyes of the insurance company ( Allstate ) made it deemed commercial & they would try to deny coverage . He also told me to never let an employee drive it in case of an accident ( I didn't have any emploees , so i did not have to wory about that ) . I could have a 1 ton dump truck for personal use but the advertisement took it out of the personal use coverage .

I may hafta give him a call and see wth is up... may be insured as personal but doesn't make much sense since my business is insured through him too...  hmmmmmmm

(Oh and I've been thinking a long time, that's why i'm so good at it, you should try it sometime, might do ya some good! ;) )

It was the same situation with me , my business ( excavation/septic system installation ) was insured thru Allstate , but the vehicles were personal use .

So that was you siting on the sideline thinking ;)  good job , keep it up !!!

So if we do crappy work they'll cover our arse, but if we run into someone we're on our own? Yeah ok!

So that was you siting on the sideline thinking ;)  good job , keep it up !!!
So that was you that drove by me and ran through the puddle??? - Think I need to put u on the 'sidelines' and think about it for awhile ;)

Commercial rates were many times what personal use was . I seldom used the 1 ton truck & in my mind was not " cheating " them . It was definitely not used commercially as a 40 hour business would . I don't insure my trucks thru Allstate . I tag & insure them at my Tn property's address . Insurance is much cheaper there  ;) .

Well think for now I'll take the chance and advertise on the truck!

Not like I drive that much anyways, h3ll I MAY get gas once a month if that! ;)

Passenger type vehicles/pick-ups are a bit different than 1 ton dump trucks . What vehicle & what type of business are you using ? I have wondered about cars with massive signage on them . Used to be there was companies that would repaint your car if you let them paint them with their stuff on it ... seems it was tobacco companies & many VW bugs . I think the insurance company would have to cover you , but I have heard of them backcharging the commercial rates & cancelling the policy .

I drive a Silverado, the big deal is I only drive about 1/2mile to work and back

He may be pulling a fast one to save me a buck, I'll have to see. I know the vette was considered as non driven to keep the rate low....

Passenger type vehicles/pick-ups are a bit different than 1 ton dump trucks . What vehicle & what type of business are you using ? I have wondered about cars with massive signage on them . Used to be there was companies that would repaint your car if you let them paint them with their stuff on it ... seems it was tobacco companies & many VW bugs . I think the insurance company would have to cover you , but I have heard of them backcharging the commercial rates & cancelling the policy .

My bucket truck is very expensive on commerical insurance and my agent could not insure it thru nationwide my  carrier on every thing else they had to go thru progressive. on my p-ups and vans i use just personal insurance as i am a sole owner/operater never had a problem yet!! but I carry a larger than required liability.

Dan