Sheetmetal Pete

Before I get carried away ...

I keep finding myself looking at used printers (new is NOT in the budget).  Most recently I'm tempted by a used VersaCamm SP300V. 

I prefer to educate myself as much as possible before making a purchase (my first vinyl cutter purchase excluded ;)).  I readily admit that I don't know the first thing about printer/cutters.  I'd like to be able to know about operating/owning one and the processes.

Where can I go, either on the internet or in person, to learn about printers?  Those of you with printers, how did you learn about them?

Thanks!

Pete 

check out www.solventprinterconversion.com that is who helped me get into this. also had to spend a lot of time with the laptop reading everything i could find. if you have any questions just ask i will be glad to help out.

do you even offer services or have enough interest from people for printed stuff. if not then it will probably not be wise to spend the money on it and should just sub it out whenever you find that you need some stuff

^^^^^ Sub it out. If you dont use those printers on an almost DAILY basis you run into all sorts of expensive problems with clogged heads etc.

^^^^^ Sub it out. If you dont use those printers on an almost DAILY basis you run into all sorts of expensive problems with clogged heads etc.

I can tell you from todays experience the heads are 1000 each - mine has 6 of them.  luckily only needed 1 for now...  got to figure out what to do when I go on vacation this year.  dog to the kennel but who to trust with the printer

i myself was in the same boat as you.myself,i started with a cheap chinese cutter(served me well,i was able to buy the sp300).used it for 2 years then decided i needed a something that would print as well.if you are buying a used printer,go to the place where it is and hit the test print button.it will tell you if the nozzles are firing as they should.i purchased mine for $5600.00.thats ALOT less than new.the only problem i have with it is the speed that it prints,but a printer cutter without a payment is very nice also.dont be afraid to buy a used machine.go check it out and see if its printing ok.every part on the machine is replaceable.i would loved to have had a new 54,but this will do everything i need to do for now.i enjoy low overhead operating expense,so this is the route i took.i know others will disagree.this is just my opinion.(i never knew anything about any printer/cutters,cutters-not a thing when i bought my first one.the internet is a wonderful tool!)

I can tell you from todays experience the heads are 1000 each - mine has 6 of them.  luckily only needed 1 for now...  got to figure out what to do when I go on vacation this year.  dog to the kennel but who to trust with the printer

Hey Dakota my printer has a self cleaning system on it..As long as it's on it cleans every so often..Does yours do that? If so leave it on and make sure you put a surge protector just incase of a power spike...Might help some??

stetson5331

Hey Dakota my printer has a self cleaning system on it..As long as it's on it cleans every so often..Does yours do that? If so leave it on and make sure you put a surge protector just incase of a power spike...Might help some??

stetson5331

yes it does - will find out now w have them all firing.

Ok, if you think you  can keep  printer busy there is no reason for not getting one.

But if you are already spending money on printer DO NOT go for Mickey Mouse size (30" ) because you will be limited by things you can do (not able to print even 3' wide banner and in banners are money).

Also most of the media comes in 54" rolls .

As my friend Jfough mentioned earlier check out the guys from Solventprinterconversion.com , I have great experience with them.

@ stetson5331

Self cleaning option on my Mutoh is turned of because  it waste to much of the ink.

I just run small set of 5 stickers (mine promo stickers) every second day.

On Our machines with usage of OEM inks there is no reason to have it on.

Just little bit of info I've learned from the guy who own a same machine)

Thank you sir - while I have been sick i have been turning it on every other day and doing a print head test pattern , , , now I have the thing figured out hope to print some stuff on my days off this week.  I work 6 on 2 off at the prison and just am so tired when i get home and not feeling 100 percent

Ok, if you think you  can keep  printer busy there is no reason for not getting one.

But if you are already spending money on printer DO NOT go for Mickey Mouse size (30" ) because you will be limited by things you can do (not able to print even 3' wide banner and in banners are money).

Also most of the media comes in 54" rolls .

As my friend Jfough mentioned earlier check out the guys from Solventprinterconversion.com , I have great experience with them

lmao.i guess i am lucky,because i have been able to get by with my 30" mickey mouse printer/cutter.i cant get any of the media you can get for your 54",so i just buy the wider stuff and cut it in half with scissors.

First , it was not my intention to offend anyone with my post ,I was just trying to give some input about difference between smaller printers and bigger ones .

Second, there is a good reason why media comes packed in plastic (media Im buying) . Reason is to prevent contamination of the media . And you are cutting it with scissors?

I'm sorry but that is not way to go.

Of course you can get by with 30" printer, you can also produce decals with 12" (i think that is right size ) CRICUT cutter but you can not do bigger stuff with it.

And third, its very hard to sell 30" printer when/if you decide to upgrade.

And yes 30" printers are Mickey Mouse printers.

First , it was not my intention to offend anyone with my post ,I was just trying to give some input about difference between smaller printers and bigger ones .

Second, there is a good reason why media comes packed in plastic (media Im buying) . Reason is to prevent contamination of the media . And you are cutting it with scissors?

I'm sorry but that is not way to go.

Of course you can get by with 30" printer, you can also produce decals with 12" (i think that is right size ) CRICUT cutter but you can not do bigger stuff with it.

And third, its very hard to sell 30" printer when/if you decide to upgrade.

And yes 30" printers are Mickey Mouse printers.

lmao.your an idiot.i do not cut the larger media with scissors.i buy 30",because they make everything i could ever use in the smaller size.you try to make it sound like you can only get wall noodle in 54 inch.i could sell a 30 inch roland in less than a week.i love my mickey mouse printer.it has allowed me to put out alot better designs and product.it has allowed me to get more done in a days time,without the $22,000 price tag.(please dont take this the wrong way,i am not offended,you are amusing)

lmao.your an idiot.i do not cut the larger media with scissors.i buy 30",because they make everything i could ever use in the smaller size.you try to make it sound like you can only get wall noodle in 54 inch.i could sell a 30 inch roland in less than a week.i love my mickey mouse printer.it has allowed me to put out alot better designs and product.it has allowed me to get more done in a days time,without the $22,000 price tag.(please dont take this the wrong way,i am not offended,you are amusing)

First, there was no reason for name calling, but I assume that is just your way of expressing yourself.

Second I was trying to give my input and my opinion about dilemma fellow member had when he started this thread, if you do not like it, that's too bad. But you should think twice before you call someone an idiot.

I just cant find reason why anyone would be offended with my input.

There is no reason for any further discussion, so ....you enjoy printing stickers and 1 1/2 Ft wide banners and I will stay idiot and do the rest.

Cheers.

First, there was no reason for name calling, but I assume that is just your way of expressing yourself.

Second I was trying to give my input and my opinion about dilemma fellow member had when he started this thread, if you do not like that's too bad. But you should think twice before you call someone an idiot.

I just cant find reason why anyone would be offended with my input.

There is no reason for any further discussion, so ....you enjoy printing stickers and 1 1/2 Ft wide banners and I will stay idiot and do the rest.

Cheers.

Neron 1060 posts...Signworx 33

enough said Neron.... :thumbsup:

stetson5331

Neron 1060 posts...Signworx 33

enough said Neron.... :thumbsup:

stetson5331

explain what that means.those who have the most posts are more intelligible?its hard to believe that members on a great forum like this would be slamming,making fun of another guys equipment.i thought i was on another forum that doesnt welcome other people.i have 101 reasons to criticize your response,but i will let it go.do you 2 have kids together stetson/neron?

explain what that means.those who have the most posts are more intelligible?its hard to believe that members on a great forum like this would be slamming,making fun of another guys equipment.i thought i was on another forum that doesnt welcome other people.i have 101 reasons to criticize your response,but i will let it go.do you 2 have kids together stetson/neron?

I did not make any derogatory or demeaning comment by name calling nor making fun of anything or anyone...The post was made as an response to reading ones comments that were informative and one that was attacking and name calling...It was also in reference to one that has made numerous contributions to this forum and one thats new and struggling already with making contributions and comments..I don't read anything in this thread about Neron making fun of anyones equipment but only making an oppinion with his comments...There was an attack with others comments with name calling and derrogatory comments due to another giving a comment on the thread..NO NEED for insinuation or that type of comment...

I stand by any comment I make about reading on a thread and clearly have established myself here in the forum with input on many many threads and don't have to explain anything I say, as the comments and input stands for itself...

I was never making fun out of anyone's equipment, I was just expressing my opinion about certain equipment.

If you found yourself offended because you own one , that is only your problem.

It is same thing if I would say that I do not have sexual encounter with hairy obese women and someone find himself offended because they do.

Having kids with Stetson is not an option because my wife would not like it. But you feel free to have one with your life partner.I will even print you nicebig banner for baby shower.

• Like 1

I was never making fun out of anyone's equipment, I was just expressing my opinion about certain equipment.

If you found yourself offended because you own one , that is only your problem.

It is same thing if I would say that I do not have sexual encounter with hairy obese women and someone find himself offended because they do.

Having kids with Stetson is not an option because my wife would not like it. But you feel free to have one with your life partner.I will even print you nicebig banner for baby shower.

Now Neron I am a good lookin fella...Least my wife used to say so..LMAO!!

As the Bud Lite commercials used to say I LOVE YOU MAN!!...ROFLMAO!!! :blink::lol:

But will you dance at the civil union (could not be a wedding)?? :D

• Like 1

You had to go there !!! :-[ Now I am pissed . As far as women ... the worst , nastiest , unattractive woman is still miles ahead of what is in 2nd place :D To each their own :thumbsup:

i dont think you guys understand.i am NOT offended by anything that has been posted.this is amusing.

looks like printer envy to memellow.gif

no printer envy from me.im happy as hell that i dont have to cut & layer multiple colors anymore.

:thumbsup:

i dont think you guys understand.i am NOT offended by anything that has been posted.this is amusing.

my 2 cents :) .

Calling anything Mickey Mouse is supposed to be an insult ... I don't know why because Mickey Mouse has made more money than everybody here on the board :huh: ... Calling somebody an Idiot is not indicative of being amused , is it ? It is actually against forum rules . That is most likely why your post count was mentioned vs the other members . BTW , I wish post counts would disappear after 100 etc . It is easy to disagree with anybody & still not be or take it personal ! " Disagree without being disagreeable ' There are plenty of other forums to bust & argue over silly things dramatically . We try to do it with intelligence & without drama here ( ex : name calling ) :thumbsup:

edit ; I have printer envy .. I wish i could justify 1

• Like 1