Sign in to follow this  
pitkin2020

MH721, which cable?

Sorry if this in the wrong place wasn't sure where to put it.

Basically I have been using my MH721 with the serial cable that came with it, but I need a longer one.  This is where the confusion sets in as the type of cable I think I need is listed as an extender not as a complete cable.  Its also listed as straight through not crossover.

The current cable has 9 pin male connector on one end and a 9 pin female connector on the other.  One end plugs straight into the PC, the other end straight into the plotter with no adapters.

So what do I need lol, is this what I need, which is a straight over cable, pin 1-1 2-2 etc, but I won't use it to extend the cable I already have I want to use instead of the cable I have

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5M-DB9-Male-Female-RS232-9Pin-Serial-Extension-Cable-/310204686234?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item4839a3df9a#ht_2745wt_1033

Or do I need a null modem cable 1-2 2-3 etc??  Which I can only seem to find with female connectors on each end, which leads to think this is not what I need, but i'm confused now.

Any help much appreciated.

For this I would ask USC, they are the only ones that would know for sure - Otherwise, go with a straight through cable....

cheers, thats why i asked on here as i thought someone from Us cutter would be on here to answer it.  I may aswell try a straight through and see if it works

Well kinda missed stating go with a straight cable and if it doesn't work, it should with the original one...

Musta been half asleep!

The Ebay link you provided for the straight through cable should work to extend the cable that came with your cutter. If I read your post correctly, you don't want to extend the cable you have, you want to use a single longer cable instead.

The USCutter cable is a null serial cable, where pins 2 and 3 are "crossed" and pins 7 and 8 are "crossed". So if you want to have just one cable, you would need to get a null serial cable.

I put a how-to posting regarding my experience with an Ebay null serial cable, and how to make your own.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,32718.0.html

Hope that helps.

Thats great thanks for the advice.  Ideally I don't want a join but will if I have too, I might just get that cable I listed on ebay for a quick solution then when things calm down look at a proper serial null cable.

Cheers for the advice much appreciated and your link

if you are looking for cables of any kind you need to be looking at www.monoprice.com

I got a 100' Serial cable for my cutter for $25 shipped.