Sign in to follow this  
johng1970

Blades

Regarding blades.  I see 60 degree and 45 degree blades.  I understand 60 degree blades are used for smaller objects and 45's seem to be used for larger items, while the 60 degree blades tend to be used as a great all around blade.  Am I correct in assuming the 45 degree blades are used for thicker deeper cuts, while 60 degree blades are for thinner, smaller cuts?  I'm thinking I probably will only need the 60 degree blades for the most part.  :D

I cut everything from 30" lettering down to 1/4 inch...finely detailed graphics and stickers...and in 5 years have never used anything other than a 45 degree blade.

Some use both, some use only 45, some use only 60.

I plan on trying a 60 the next time I order some blades.

Am I correct in assuming the 45 degree blades are used for thicker deeper cuts, while 60 degree blades are for thinner, smaller cuts?  I'm thinking I probably will only need the 60 degree blades for the most part.   :D

It's actually the opposite; the 60 degree blades have a steeper angle so less blade is contacting the material. This is what makes them ideal for thicker materials as well as smaller and finer details. It's also why some prefer to use them as their main blades. I'll be trying them because I do sometimes cut fine details.

45 degree blades are general purpose and work great for most materials.

As important as the blade is, it's equally important to set up your cutter correctly too.

I cut everything from 30" lettering down to 1/4 inch...finely detailed graphics and stickers...and in 5 years have never used anything other than a 45 degree blade.

same here with 60 degree - well not 5 years either :D

I use 45 deg Blades also..........but do use 60deg for rubber mask...........In general 45 deg will cut anything you need........