Sign in to follow this  
xJoey Dubsx

Our other line of work, Powdercoating.. (Tools)

Me and my buddy who starting up our little side business does powdercoating, and I help him with it..

He does that, I do the vinyl stuff, but help each other and share business name...

Here's a tool set we just did for our buddy..

blacktex1.jpg

width=800 height=533http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/xjoeydubsx/3am%20customs/blacktex2.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=533http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/xjoeydubsx/3am%20customs/blacktex3.jpg[/img]

width=800 height=533http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/xjoeydubsx/3am%20customs/blacktex4.jpg[/img]

How does that finish hold up over the chrome (or are these just for looks)? Because of this coating does it make them hard to get over nuts/bolts? I like the look though. What would something like this cost?

Im not him, but as far as fit... why would that change? I am of course assuming he does NOT spray the inside of the sockets. As for the wrenches... ya no clue haha. They do look good though Joe, I am a fan. If I had the money I would send you 90% of my tools to powdercoat haha

How does that finish hold up over the chrome (or are these just for looks)? Because of this coating does it make them hard to get over nuts/bolts? I like the look though. What would something like this cost?

We're going to find out how it works, this is for the kid we're sponsoring that does auto cross racing, and doing decals on his cars and powdercoating stuff for him. Good friend of ours..

We've thrown around our first set, which were a standard red, and no problem.

Haven't got to use them in real world situations, but worse case scenario they will be tight on stripped nuts/bolts haha..

And as far as price, depends on how many peices, and what coating you want.

Im not him, but as far as fit... why would that change? I am of course assuming he does NOT spray the inside of the sockets. As for the wrenches... ya no clue haha. They do look good though Joe, I am a fan. If I had the money I would send you 90% of my tools to powdercoat haha

Correct, didnt do the inside of the sockets, but we did the inside of wrenches.. so it may change slightly, or lip on sockets.

would have to remove it all the way past the copper layer for it to correctly stick if i remember correctly from when i was in a metal shop.

That is my thing too. I wouldn't mind doing my tools in John Deere Yellow and Green or even black but wouldn't want to waste the money or make it so that I was scared to use those tools if the PC was gonna flake off.

I do know Powder coating is very hard. Thats its bad side not good. Chips and cracks if the substrait it is applied to is flexing. It is more prone to cracking and flaking that traditional liquid paint. Had alot of problems with powder coated frames when i was building street rods for this reason. Plus ones it cracks or chips your pooched, cant repair it, needs to be removed and redone to match.

BUT it is a good process and just like liquid has its uses. But is not a finish all.

Why does it look rough or textured? Most all PC I have seen leaves a smooth finish.

It's "Flat Black Textured"

You can get flats, gloss, high gloss, neons, glow in the darks, candy colors, etc in smooth.

Then get hammer coats, textures, wrinkles, veiney, and other texture ones too, or even additives to add to above ones to make them like these..