keleland

Bought 2nd Us Cutter 3 weeks ago - broke AGAIN

UGH!  Just bought new cutter 3 weeks ago and I think the mother board is blown on it.  We went through this with my last cutter THREE times needing a new mother board every 6m.  Why o why did I buy another one?!?!?!

Why o why did I buy another one?!?!?!

Good question.

I'd return it and if at all possible, go for a reliable cutter. I'd go for one of the cutters with a reliable reputation from Graphtec, Roland, GCC, etc.

What cutter was it that you bought and which one did you have that kept dying every 6 months?

Have you tried to figure out what is frying them ? Static electricity can cause that . Read up on grounding your cutter if you have not already . I bought 2 of the same cutters . I keep things a long time . I figure I will have donor parts at some pouint in time . Bad thing is on many things , the same part fails .

Not only try to ground your cutter for the static but also look into a surge protector for the AC surges that might be causing you problems..

stetson5331

Well, I doubt it is static as the cutters have been in two different locations and this particular cutter has been plugged into three different walls, all with surge protectors.  I use a static wrist band as well. 

Might be best to make sure & ground them just in case . Having two cutters do the same thing makes it seem there is a problem other than a problem cutter .

It's odd because they've been connected to two different laptops in two different houses though.  Guess I'm just electrifying  ;D

I'd be looking at a battery backup to condition the power and making sure it's properly grounded....  ;D

It seems the short term is a new motherboard...again.  And the not so long term is looking into a different cutter.

" Guess I'm just electrifying  "    I would agree  ;D . I bought Copams on the advice of USCutter techs . They seem to have little issues .

Well, I doubt it is static as the cutters have been in two different locations and this particular cutter has been plugged into three different walls, all with surge protectors.  I use a static wrist band as well. 

the static comes from the vinyl.  When the vinyl rolls thru your cutter. 

I'd be looking at a battery backup to condition the power and making sure it's properly grounded....  ;D

I'd agree with the need for a UPS to combat surge issues and with regard to the static issue it's not really the electrical system but the environment which may be the same if both houses are in the same weather system. I just started sticking a sheet of Bounce into my rolls when cutting (especially in the winter), not only does my shop smell fantastic but it really does totally eliminate the static build up.

Two bad boards sounds fishy to me... I imagine you'd be left on your own if another should go out on you.

Also, in my area the Edison company will come out and do an energy survey that also diagnoses power spikes for free to see what may be happening, your's may offer the same.

the static comes from the vinyl.   When the vinyl rolls thru your cutter. 

+1 if this is a refine model (MH series) you need to run a ground wire from the STAND to the cutter and make sure to remove paint on the stand screw to make a good contact.  the vinyl in this weather creates a LOT of static and it will discharge thru the cutter head and fry the boards.  The problem is the refines sit on rubber feet and the stand is not grounded allowing this build up with no where to go except thru the cutter head.

Yes i'd be looking at a surge protector.

I have everything installed to protect all my equipment and when not in use i pull everything out at the wall just in case..

When you spend alot of money on these things, it pays to do what you can to look after them.

2 cutters really sounds like your experiencing power surges..