Sign in to follow this  
RuthieB

Boat numbers etc opinions on machine

Hi

I am wanting to buy a cutter to cut numbers for boats. My husband owns the dealership. Size is not real important as they only cover a fairly small area.

Now here are my main questions. First I run a graphics dept. I have macs and use Illustrator all the time. What will interface with this. Can I export file directly to a plotter, or what software will I need to interface. I have a Mac G4 OS9 I could use or a new laptop. The mac has Illustrator on it also.

Opinions would be appreciated! Money is a concern, but not really speed.

Hi

I am wanting to buy a cutter to cut numbers for boats. My husband owns the dealership. Size is not real important as they only cover a fairly small area.

Now here are my main questions. First I run a graphics dept. I have macs and use Illustrator all the time. What will interface with this. Can I export file directly to a plotter, or what software will I need to interface. I have a Mac G4 OS9 I could use or a new laptop. The mac has Illustrator on it also.

Opinions would be appreciated! Money is a concern, but not really speed.

You might give the CraftRobo CC330-20L consideration. I understand they offer MAC plug-ins for the full version of Adobe (AI) and the cutting width would be close to that required for producing two rows of 3" boat registration numbers/letters.

You might consider getting a larger cutter so you can create custom names and graphics on the transom of the boats.

It all depends on your budget.  You haven't said, what you want to spend.    Buy the best that you can afford. Any of the cutters will work for your needs. 

It all depends on your budget.  You haven't said, what you want to spend.    Buy the best that you can afford. Any of the cutters will work for your needs. 

$600 or somewhere less???

you can go to the US Cutter site on Ebay and purchase,  or the USCUTTER.com and purchase.  UScutter website has a better warranty.    Any will work.  And if you have the room, definately get a cutter with a stand.  

I would look at the LaserPoint. If you can stretch your budget a little and are patient, you may  be able to get a Copam off of USCutter Ebay site for around $650. A much better cutter than the Laserpoint but more expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Copam-CP-2500-24-PROFESSIONAL-Vinyl-Cutter-Plotter-/300514935760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f81603d0

Jay

Just one other note since you mentioned your budget is $600  I have somewhere an 8" Roland Cutter,

and until Cricut became popular you couldn't find any sheets of Vinyl smaller than 21" to order anywhere.

I found myself buying rolls of vinyl 21" and manually cutting them down sheet by sheet as I needed them

to 8 1/2" x 21" or so, then splitting that up to make 2 sheets and working with that.... Let me just say that's a royal pain!  It gets old quick.  Besides the fact that you can cut  larger letters (I have never

needed greater than 8 1/2" letters for hobby use, but buying supplies is far easier for the 21"+ cutters.  I myself am fixing to buy a cutter.  I've seen some offered on e-bay from US Cutter and a few other companies.  I'm fixing to order the 25" cutter from US Cutter (I think it's a MH series cutter or something like that..., the cheapest they have).  Let me assure you I have been researching this and have experience cutting Vinyl.  A couple of things to look for and why I am choosing the plotter I am choosing...

Other companies sell similiar plotters for comparible prices, but the only company I've seen that offers a stand for $30 more is US Cutters.  This adds value to the overall price.  Many companies offer you a "Kit Price" but you won't use everything in the kit and just ends up costing you more money.  I'll order the Vinyl I need as I need it.  Other Vinyl cutters are sold without any software.  US Cutters comes with Sign Blazer Elements and Sign Cut Productivity free.  I checked on various places that sell software to cut signs....  Add  $500 if it doesn't come with your plotter!    Also, the difference between the 12" and the 21" with stand on US Cutters is $50  The choice becomes clearer....

If all you want to do is numbers, you can get away with something as simple as a Cricut Personal or Create cutter, only cuts an area of 6 x 12, or Cricut Expression 12 x 24". and either Sure Cuts A Lot software, mac compatable, or Make the Cut running on paralelles (no need to buy cartridges). You can get started from $150-250.

The Shilouette is also a nice cutter with contour cutting ability, not sure how it works with Mac. about $200. Cut  area 8.5 x 39"

The Gazelle is another cutter with more force and speed than the cutters above, and it has laser alignment. Cut area 13 x 96. Runs from $350-450.

Someone else will most likely chime in and say these are hobby machine, true they were geared for the hobbist market, but they are workhorses and have been pushed to cut items many would not try on a "Professional" machine.

I am also using the  US Cutter MH-871, they have a smaller 12" starting at $220.00

...The Shilouette is also a nice cutter with contour cutting ability, not sure how it works with Mac. about $200. Cut  area 8.5 x 39"

The Gazelle is another cutter with more force and speed than the cutters above, and it has laser alignment. Cut area 13 x 96. Runs from $350-450.

Someone else will most likely chime in and say these are hobby machine, true they were geared for the hobbist market, but they are workhorses and have been pushed to cut items many would not try on a "Professional" machine. I am also using the  US Cutter MH-871, they have a smaller 12" starting at $220.00

I concure with your assessment of these smaller "Hobbiest" cutters being capable workhorses. In addition to a Copam, I have a CC200 that I've used in the past to cut vegetable fiber engine gaskets. Found the multiple pass option in the Graphtec Cut Master Software useful for this. 

a cutter is a cutter. IT's only a hobby cutter if you use it for a hobby. A $3000 Graphtec can be a hobby cutter.

I agree with John's statement above.

My advise would be to purchase a 24" cutter as it is a lot easier to purchase/load media. You will also need vinyl, application tape, maybe some weeding tools, and squeegees to apply. Some of the cheaper cutters have trouble running on MAC's so you may have to purchase a keyspan adapter. There is more info in the MAC section. If you purchase from USC, I think they still give you one year of SignCut Pro which has an addin for AI and is MAC compatible. Hope that helps.