Sign in to follow this  
runit

?

im looking to take my bussiness to the next level i have been asking questions and reading like crazy and i have another question lol sorry guys. but im on a tight budget to start into t shirts and im trying to figure out if it is better to us screanprinting or to heatpress vinyl wich one has a lower cost for startup i can build a screen press but also have a vinyl cutter so both options would work for me and when i get to a comfertable point i would like to have both but as for right now im just wondering wich one would be a better place to start ;)

I think it is much cheaper to buy a heatpress since you already have the cutter . Just like the cutters , you can buy a cheap model to make sure it isn't a fad & make enough to buy a quality item . I still use my cheap 6-in-1 heatpress .

Both screen printing and heat press vinyl serve different needs. If a client needs 7 or more I usually quote based on screen printing (and heat transfers).  On 1 - 6 pieces I quote on cut vinyl.  But if you have 2 or more colours sometimes you have to work out prices based on more than 1 methods.  I often calculate jobs using several methods and the numbers you end up with will tell you what is best for your client.

Another consideration for me regarding using transfers is other jobs pending, how likely the job will repeat, whether you can use the extra space on sheet for stock designs, more than 1 location, etc.  Another factor will be how quick your client needs shirts.

I find with cut vinyl you can serve "urgent" clients.  For example, I had a call over the weekend for some wedding party shirts because their other supplier had not delivered and it was "party time".  I did 12 shirts (19.50 each) in a couple hours and cleared just over 150.00 for my time.  You can not do this with screen printing.

realy? i thought screen printing would be much faster ? good to know thanks

How does vinyl stand up against screen printing because the main reason im wonting to know all this is because im actuly wanting to start a racing clothing line just to sell at local car shows and on my website and i wont something that will last

There is no issue in my mind about cut vinyl lasting. Never had enough complaints to worry.  But it may not be the best production method for a line because of economic considerations.

SCREEN PRINTING by far is the cheapest way to produce shirts. Ink is cheaper than vinyl..... You can build a decent basic four color press for press cheap. the most expensive things will be the hinge clamps. Thats how I started several years ago. Ive got all kinds of fancy equipment now but honestly I very seldom get a customer who wants more than 2 or 3 colors.

I got a book when I first started years ago and it is still available. it is called screen printing for fun and profit. Also in that book are some plans for a basic four color press that I biult and used in my garage printing for 3 years. Dont let anyone say you need a big fancy press to start. My second order was for over 5000 dollars printing 762 shirts for a baseball league. Never had a problem with registration. We are talking spot color not four color proccess so before some start to jump on it.

The vinyl cutter comes in handy when you are doing names and numbers on the backs of shirts which has a price of $4.00 additonal per shirt.

Just do some reading and practicing and youll do fine.

I would still purchase a screen printing press before building one.

You have enough to learn with screen printing, making screens, type of ink, flashing, curing, etc. You don't need to have a problem with whether the issue is the machine you built or with your screen printing.

I would eliminate as much as possible in the beginning.

You can buy a Four Color press for under $500, and then use either a Heat Gun, Flash, your oven or a conveyor dryer to cure the ink. You can also get a 16 x 16 inch Flash unit to flash between colors, and to cure the final print.

The book Uncle mentioned is really good. I have one myself. I also took a class which cost about $300. It's worth it's weight in Gold. Think about it. You get all the info from that book in a two to three day class, plus you network with the Instructor and anyone in the class.

Many of the class mates won't screen print ever. They may call you to do that for them. Chi Ching $$$$