sidxyz1

GraphTec offset problems

I bought a US Cutter MH721 six months ago, then shortly decided to upgrade to a GraphTec CE5000-60. I use Cutting Master 2 cutting software with Illustrator on a Macintosh. I cut mostly Oracal 631.

Now, I

Sounds like you doing everything correctly.  If you haven't I would add 1 drop of  3 & 1 oil or something like that to the tip of the blade.  Can make a difference as the blade needs to spin freely.  I think on the graphtec the off set for everyone that I know use 0...

I like to run my finger along the blade until I can just feel it instead if half a credit card, but thats me...

Thanks mr300s,

I'll try the drop of oil.

By the way, i see you use the Clean Cut blades--do like them pretty well? Maybe I should change my blade.

Thanks again,

Sid

Yes I think they make a difference especially on how long they stay sharp.  Carolyn is right also I look at the tip with a 30X loupe  to make sure the tip is still there,  On the clean cut blades it takes a lot less pressure and if you start to high you can bust the tip off and not even know it...

If you have "over cut" in your software turn it on and that problem will go away...

MM64  :rolleyes:

Speedoggy: I've looked at the blade with a small magnifying glass, but there's no obvious damage.

mr300s: Clean Cut blades look inexpensive enough that maybe I should try one to see if it makes any difference.

MM64: I've seen reference to "over cut" on these forums, but I can't find anything like that in Cutting Master 2.

Thanks to everybody for their advice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my comment about the test cuts? -- (As  I do the little test cuts, I now notice that the lower right corner of the triangle always seems kind of blunt, like it

where are you actually changing the offset at?  On your cutter contol?  Or have you down loaded the  Graphtec  cutting controller and changing the offset there?   I have run at  0 from the git go and perfect everytime.  I make my changes from the Graphtec cutting controller on my computer.   I make all my adjustments Speed/ force, etc. from my Graphtec cutting controller on my computer.  and I do not use Clean cut blades.  My cutter is 3 years old and I have always used the regular Graphtec blades, and no problems.

To Speedoggy:

I set everything on the cutter itself because I don't think they make the controller for Macintosh.

Everybody I've talked to has their Offset set at 0 on Graphtecs. Either 0 or +1 seems to give me the best results, but not perfect. Maybe I need to re-install the blade into the holder again, and start over from scratch. I've done this many times, but maybe this time's the charm.

Thanks for the input,

Sid

Maybe its your font.  If its not doing it on other letters then something is weird.

Thanks for the input, 34Ford.

I generally changed my fonts to outlines so it's just vectors that I'm cutting. And it happens regardless of what font I started with: seris, san serif, script, whatever. Also, it will happen on artwork as well as letters.

The fact that it doesn't happen on every shape seems weird to me, too.

Thanks again,

Sid

Hummm.......maybe something is moving.

So your saying when you go to weed there will be a few spots not cut.  If it was offset you would have a lot of areas not cut all the way.

Have you tried cutting the same simple shape to see if it repeats?

also have you looked at your cutting strip, to make sure no gouges,  big scratches?  See if it's seated real good? 

I had the same issue when I first got my Roland GX-400. I talked to CS and they said it would be the offset and/or blades. So I bought some CleanCut blades and played around with the offset settings. So far I haven't had that issue anymore. I changed the offset from the cutter.

BTW, my Roland had the "TEST" button to cut some test cuts and those wouldn't come out right before I made those changes. Does the Graphtec do "TEST" cuts, if it does, do they come out good?

Sorry to take so long getting back to people.

Speedoggy: the cutting strip seems in good condition, and the problems appear at random spots, not like when the blade is at a certain area on the strip.

Clos762: I think maybe re-installing the blade and playing with the offset, like you mention, is my next move--I've done this many times, but you never know...

And, yeah like Speedoggy points out, the CE5000-60 does test cuts. I mentioned earlier that the lower right corner of the triangle on the test cuts seems blunted, like it's being torn instead of cut completely.

Actually, I wish the Graphtec did bigger test cuts like my USCutter MH721 did.

34Ford: I agree that it seems like the problem should appear more often if it's Offset related.

Last night I cut the same design twice and the problem areas moved--that's unusual, they usually happen in the same spots if I cut multiplies.

Thanks to everyone, and again, sorry to take so long responding,

Sid

You should only barely be seeing the blade,  actually you can take the blade holder out of the machine,  and have it in your hand,  cut across some vinyl. If it is cutting into the backing paper,or making marks, the blade is too far out.  Keep adjusting it, until it barely makes a mark on the backing paper and still cuts your vinyl.  Then put it back in your machine,  and use the force for your adjustments on cutting.  Most vinyl is only 2-3 MM  and that is not much at all.

OK, I reinstalled the blade using Speedoggy's direction and the Graphtec videos. I may have found just a tiny bit of crud in the holder. In general, everything seemed to be in good condition.

I then cut the same design I've been experimenting with--the result was different, but still not perfect. I think I may turn the design to see it that makes any difference--the main problem spot seems to be the first shape that the cutter cuts. If I change the orientation maybe it will cut better--I've cut that shape by itself, and then it cuts perfectly.

Also, I still haven't tried the 3-in-1 oil that mr300s suggested, but I will now.

Thanks,

Sid

Yea, lets see what your image looks like.  Maybe just to simplify things just cut a box so you can see if it moves.

Yes I agree maybe the design needs some nodes editied or it may even have two layers which would  or could cause that if it was cutting that area twice?

I've had a lot experience with Adobe Illustrator and vector art in general, so I think the art itself is OK. Plus, I can cut the problem shapes individually, and they work fine.

I'll post the vector art when I get some time; in the meantime here's a picture of the design:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65218309/vinyl-wall-words-all-things-grow-with

As always, thanks for all the input,

Sid

ok,  so how about posting a picture of your problem.  You should have no problem cutting that design.    Gosh I cut 120" x 20" decals with no problems on my Graphtec.   Just curious,  How fast are you running your Graphtec cutter?  What speed?

Have you checked to see if the design has only one color to cut? The only time I had ever experience anything like that was when I down loaded a screwed up vector that had was 2 layers of the same color and I thought it was only one.