twister23m

multi layered lettering

I am banging my head guys. Using inskape, how can I achieve multi colored letters and crop marks. Also how do I get it to signcut? Thanks, Will check back soon. You guys have been a huge help!

John

Layered Graphics using InkScape and Sign Cut.

1. Open InkScape, Click The Select and Edit Text box on the left toolbar (Has letter A as an Icon)

2. Enter desired text.

3. Adjust size of text if applicable by dragging corners.

4. Select the current Text and copy it to clipboard (Edit on toolbar, then copy)

5. Paste the text. (Edit on toolbar, then paste) This will be your Background Layer.

6. Select the Background layer, either one... then goto path on the toolbar, and click outset, (you can do this a few times to get the desired thickness of the background letters)

7.  Select either layer, and adjust colors.

8. Select both layers, then goto Object on the tool bar, then align and distribute.  Center on both axis, horizontal and vertical.

9. Save the image as an EPS file.

10. Open this file now in SignCut.

11. On the left hand toolbar, there is a icon that looks like a bullseye, this is your registration mark tool...

12. Once that is selected, on the bottom, highlight the icon that looks like a plain diamond (Registration Mark, No Snap.)

13.  Place Registration marks on image above the lettering.

14. Left hand side is where you can toggle the diffrent color layers.

15. Cut Out each layer seperately, then layer them...

Done!

Video Coming Soon!

I have made my multi layered image in Inkscape and when I transferred it to Sign Cut -X2 it just shows the outline of the image.  It is not showing all of the multi layers so that I can cut each layer.  I think I must be missing a step.  Please help me.

In SignCut, the layer tools are located on the right side of the screen.

I am really lost on the layering.  I have got the item that I need to the Sign cut but it is just an outline it is not the whole item with the three layers.  It would normally have my three colors on the right side but it is only showing my bottom layer color.  Please help.  I am really new at this.  Thanks.

could you post the file that you are importing into sign cut so that we may further investigate this matter with you...

This is the file that I have imported to sign cut.  Like I said earlier when I pull it up in Sign Cut I am only getting my bottom layer.  On the right it only shows my black color tab.

11.eps

11.eps

Very odd... I opened the file in sign cut and it showed both layers, the red and the black.

You have SignCut PE correct?

Yes I have the PE version.  When you opened it did it show you the colors on the right or did you do something for it to come up?  I noticed in a previous message you said something about clicking on the bullseye do I need to do that?

The bullseye is just for the reg marks, they are optional... but no, I just opened the eps in signcut and the black and red showed up.

do you think it would hurt for me to reload the signcut?  maybe there is something wrong with my signcut.

Guest fivestar

I've never used signcut but flexi has an option to show all colors or show single color, maybe yours is set to just show a single color.  Also make sure it is set to show fill and not just outline.  Like I said, I've never used signcut but it should have that option in it.

I have other files that I can open and it shows all of the layered colors in it so I don't think that is it  But thanks for the idea got anymore?  I am lost and have jobs to get done this week.

Guest fivestar

Not for sure why it won't show it for you.  I opened it in both Flexi and Corel and it showed 'em both.  I resaved it as an .eps see if it shows it now.

11copy.eps

11copy.eps

I am going to reload my signcut and see if that works. Thanks for everyone's help.

I have a copam cp-2500 cutter.  Will the Flexi and WinPCSign work with my cutter?

WinPCSign shows a driver avaliable for the Copam, however, flexi does not.

I have a refine so i dont know...

I feel very limited on what I can use with this cutter.  Are all cutters limited like this one on the software that you use?  What is a good cutter?

The compan is an excellent cutter... There are other cutters out there, but sometimes there in the thousands of dollars.  and yes, not all software is compatible with every machine.

althought flexi does not list a driver for the copan, many people use another driver and have no issues with it working.

I've read your instructions and watched the video (it's too fast for me). When I get to: Select both layers, then goto Object on the tool bar, then align and distribute.  Center on both axis, horizontal and vertical. I'm finding my outset(larger) text to be covering the original text defeating the task. How do I move it to the front in Inkscape, what am I missing? Thanks

Guest missy

In signcut I put in the registration marks but for some reason after every cut I have to restart my computer and when I go back into signcut the registration marks are not there so it is impossible to line up layers.

Guest missy

Which is the best and easiest software to use that you can design and cut in the same program.  I have a refine 721. Thanks

Your best bang for your buck is SignBlazer..

Its worth every penny of the $60...  Thats right, Only SIXTY BUCKS!!!