freezermink

trying some etching for the first time...

i ordered some etching goop with my last vinyl order and thought i'd try it out.  immediately i got a few ideas for christmas gifts for the grandparents.  this is one i finished just last night. (we're celebrating christmas a few weeks late this year - tough to get a big family all together.)

i thought it came out better than i'd hoped.  the mirror itself is about 9"x9".  i found it in the frame at target for $16.  $.50 worth of vinyl and almost zero etching paste used (once recovered), and i've got a pretty kick-ass gift.

it is an irish 'blessing' of sorts, in irish gaelic.  my grandmother is irish catholic and i'm sure she'll love it.  it reads:

Go si

post-13661-12986563960814_thumb.jpg

post-13661-12986563987842_thumb.jpg

That came out great I think its spelled right  ;) ;)

That came out great I think its spelled right  ;) ;)

haha.  i think so too.  

to be honest, i did get the translation from the internet.  it could really say any number of terrible things, i wouldn't know the difference.  i'm banking on it being fairly accurate though!  :D

here's the other one i just finished.  for my grandmother on the other side of the family.  she's a nut for owls - they're all over her house.  cheesy, yeah, but she'll love it.  ;)

post-13661-12986563961738_thumb.jpg

post-13661-1298656398868_thumb.jpg

freezermink, could you explain to me what you mean by "recovered"?

"and almost zero etching paste used (once recovered),"

I would assume that after he was ready he returned the paste back into the bottle.

BTW very nice saying.

freezermink, could you explain to me what you mean by "recovered"?

"and almost zero etching paste used (once recovered),"

I would assume that after he was ready he returned the paste back into the bottle.

BTW very nice saying.

yep, gozo is correct.  essentially the paste is reuseable, as you can scrape it off the glass and return it to the bottle after using it.  that said, the small bottle should last me for quite a long time.  totally worth the price, considering the fantastic job it has done.  

Both came out very nice!

thanks for the support guys!  i'm just stoked that i've been able to get these kinds of results after only having my cutter for a few weeks.  its too damn fun.   ;)

Have you reused this before?

My experience reusing wasn't so good - mainly since it chunks up. Not sure leaving it in the same bottle wouldn't ruin the rest of the batch either...

You can re-use the Etch-all paste that US Cutter sells. I used it for the first time last week and got fantastic results. Guess I'm hooked on it now.

Have you reused this before?

My experience reusing wasn't so good - mainly since it chunks up. Not sure leaving it in the same bottle wouldn't ruin the rest of the batch either...

i'm really not positive since i've only had it for a short time, but i've reclaimed and reused the paste on 5 or 6 different occasions by now with no ill effects.  i did happen to leave one of the applicator sticks out with a bit of the etching paste on the end over night the other night.  it seemed to have the same consistancy the next morning as the rest of the bottle- no change.  not the same as reclaimed paste, i know, but it did boost my confidence about the stuff.  

USCutters description lists it as a 're-usable cream', so we'll see how that pans out.  i will update in the next couple weeks or so if there is any change in this goop.  

good lookin out bayotle-

Thanks for the info, didn't know usc sold the etching cream, guess the problem is with the Armour Etch

Good info folks... I am using the Armour Etch and I have noticed the "chunks" bayotle speaks of. I have also noticed when etching a larger surface area, the smell of sulphur is more evident. Does the USC paste stink as well?

Good info folks... I am using the Armour Etch and I have noticed the "chunks" bayotle speaks of. I have also noticed when etching a larger surface area, the smell of sulphur is more evident. Does the USC paste stink as well?

It does have a smell - not so sure using it in an enclosed area is good for the brain matter! ;) well unless you're into that kind a thing!  ;)

So, locking the dog in the closet with an open bottle wouldn't be recommended?

wow, if you guys really like that sulfur smell that much... let me eat a few burritos and invite me over.  ;)

wow, if you guys really like that sulfur smell that much... let me eat a few burritos and invite me over.   ;)

Finally, some competition!!  ;)