Scribe917k

Etched mugs

that is great.

just what i want to try and do,can you give me some idea as to what i need to buy to achieve these results

ps i live in the uk

stu

Stuart....... all I have is a sand blasting cabinet, 24" uscutter laserpoint, signblazer elements and the regular green star beginers pack of vinyl. Nothing special but it works great. Just make sure to mask the entire mug. I used the 3" blue painters tape to cover everything I didn't want blasted.

I started out covering the entire mug. Now I leave the top and bottom mostly open, saves time and don't have issues.

Same with me , now I only tape up a few inches away as i use about 30 psi to blast with . What pressure is everybody else using ?

I don't tape the top or bottom just the outside surface. Had it set on 60 psi for these mugs. Was set on 30 and I didn't like the result so I cranked it up.

Yeah we had a cabinet sitting around cause my father restores old 2 stroke motorcycles. Got it on craigslist a few years ago for dirt cheap, guy was cleaning out a storage unit. I don't know what u guys have over there but we get the mugs from the dollar store and they are actually really nice mugs.

thanks for the tips

now i need to look for a sandblast cabinet

stu

Harbor Freight sells them for $219 ( bigger unit with a stand ) & has sales every other month on them . Links are in this forum .

a good friend of mine says i can borrow his sandblast unit for as long as i like.

so can you guys put me on to any links and tips to show how its done please

stu

nice job!

need to compare the two methods and see what the actual difference is up close and personal...

I've done a ton of liquid with what I consider good results....

If you do a quick sandblasting , it comes out just a bit more etched than the liquid done etching . I have seen some glass that was carved into 1/2" by blasting .

If you do a quick sandblasting , it comes out just a bit more etched than the liquid done etching . I have seen some glass that was carved into 1/2" by blasting .

One of these days I may break down and get a box but thinkin at this point i dont need anymore hobbies... H3ll i should probably give a few of them up and take a vacation. I know the liquid is more of a 1 shot deal, twice you're liable to end up with a mess, but from the low end, I'm wondering if you can tell which way it was etched...?

Just curious Are you talking actual liquid or paste?

Never know what anyone else is talking about but I'm refer'n to Armour Etch!

Just curious Are you talking actual liquid or paste?

Never know what anyone else is talking about but I'm refer'n to Armour Etch!

ditto

Im curious as to if you actually need the special vinyl to use sandto etch or if you can get away with say oracal 651. Anyone have any experience?

651 does a fine job . I have read any vinyl will work good .

i just picked up some of this etching paste myself... added it on to an order of vinyl from uscutter.  just tried it out a few minutes ago and i have to say... for decorative glasses, etc, it seems to be a fantastic option.  i know sandblasting would look ultra good and it does have the texture, but for the price of this etching paste and the job it does i'm very impressed. 

I would say most any vinyl would do. I'm using the beginers pack from green star for my mugs and as you can see they turned out just fine.