freezermink

first large cut, lots of weeding, what do you think?

my girlfriend mentioned that she'd like to have more art on the wall, and i remember seeing some fairly intricate urban silhouette scenes done, so i thought i'd give it a shot.  we're not in seattle anymore, but we spend ~7 years there and we truly miss it.  i thought i'd give that famous skyline a try.  its not really the correct vinyl for the application (cheap avery), but it seemed to go on well enough.  the gloss is a bit too much if the light is right on it, but where it is positioned in the room it seems just fine.  i'd like to get into doing more of the wall art so i think this was a step in the right direction.  i also cut it, weeded it and taped it before we even had a place to put it.  haha.

i took a stock google photo of the skyline, greyscaled, contrasted the hell out of it, did 30 min or so of tedious details and then eventually found the right trace setting in illustrator.  i'd love to go bigger, but i only have the 15" vinyl at the moment.  once i get a few rolls of 24" i'll give it another shot. 

first is taped (sorry i was excited and didn't get a shot before taping), and the other two are in the room.  what do you think?

post-13661-12986558854017_thumb.jpg

post-13661-12986558854599_thumb.jpg

post-13661-12986558855141_thumb.jpg

Looks good.

For the correct material use Oracal 631 which is a regular cut vinyl and is made for walls only. It is matte finished so the light doesn't become a problem.

I have some oracal 3268 digital print vinyl if you ever need something full color printed and cut to shape. Just PM me.

Looks good.

For the correct material use Oracal 631 which is a regular cut vinyl and is made for walls only. It is matte finished so the light doesn't become a problem.

ha, thats exactly the vinyl i have on order... it just hasn't arrived yet and i got impatient.  i actually didn't expect to be that sucessful with such a detailed piece, but it weeded perfectly and went on great.  once i get the 24in oracle 631 i'll do it up right. 

thanks!

Looks great. Good job on the Seattle skyline. We also lived there for about 10 years. I don't miss the traffic at all. Still visit often though.

That skyline looks awesome!  Nice detail :D

What other projects do you have in mind?  I am trying not to cover my house in anime, thankfully, my girlfriend likes the anime as much as I do, so if I go nuts one day, I should be somewhat ok :D

That skyline looks awesome!  Nice detail :D

What other projects do you have in mind?  I am trying not to cover my house in anime, thankfully, my girlfriend likes the anime as much as I do, so if I go nuts one day, I should be somewhat ok :D

thanks dude!

We're not sure what we want to do at the moment... i'm slightly overwhelmed at the possibilities really.  everything sounds awesome.  one of the ideas is to come up with some sort of subtle integration with simple vinyl wall art behind and around her photographs.  shes an amateur photographer and has quite a few pieces that hover around a very simple abtract shape theme.  another idea is just to cover the walls with anything we see that looks neat at the time.  ha. 

Would you mind sharing the vector for the skyline?  I currently live in the seattle area and would love something like this in my house.  Or is there a good tutorial on how to do this myself?

Would you mind sharing the vector for the skyline?  I currently live in the seattle area and would love something like this in my house.  Or is there a good tutorial on how to do this myself?

the file is pretty node-intense so it won't let me attach it.  i just uploaded it to my site, you can grab it from there if you need. it should immediately bring up the option to open/save.  

www.thereisnostudio.com/misc/seattleeps.eps

its a really quick, basic attempt with vectorizing.  the problem comes in with getting a high contrast black and white high-res photo.  i found one online but still had to photoshop the hell out of it to get it right, then mess around with the tracing options in illustrator until i got it close.  i'm sure if you spend a bit of time with it (straightening out some lines, moving some nodes around) you could get it to look even better.  i was too impatient to see it actually cut rather than spend the time with the file.  :D