my cutter is run from a laptop with out a serial option.  please tell me there is a simple fix to that and that i don't have to get a desktop to run this. i just had this one rebuilt. arrrgguhh!! :crash:

my cutter is run from a laptop with out a serial option.  please tell me there is a simple fix to that and that i don't have to get a desktop to run this. i just had this one rebuilt. arrrgguhh!! :crash:

I had the same problem. I ended up doing a complete installation of all drivers and SBE software. Then reinstalled everything with the latest updates and patches that were available. One of the issues that I actually had was resolved not by the driver software, but SBE itself. You can check the SBE forum for additional advice.

At any rate, if all of that didn't work, this was going to be my next step. I also have a laptop specifically for the cutter that doesn't have a serial port. This is the fix: http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=2066 or you can find it at your nearest techstore: fry's, abt, etc.

Hi,

I am having a similar problem. I am using FlexiSign 7.6. I have been using it for over a month and now all of a sudden, I have been getting these "write port error" messages. I have tried a new usb cable and also trying different usb ports as well. I have had my laserpoint over a little over 2 months. I am going to do more investigating to figure out what the issues really is.

i've been having the same problem. my cutter stops in the middle of a job. it cuts about 3 words then it just goes to 'WAITING' i have made similar cuts and it does ok but sometimes it just wont finish the cut. i'm really getting frustrated. i have a window lettering job i need to get done and i get even get all my letters cut!

I had the same issues when using the USB connection on the Laserpoint.  I wasted a lot of vinyl on half-cut designs before trying the serial connection.  This was the solution that allowed me to use my USB only laptop.  I've had no further issues since installing this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-Cable-Adapter-PC-PDA-GPS-for-XP_W0QQitemZ320217447766QQihZ011QQcategoryZ146519QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just get one of these and use the serial cable that came with your cutter.

JimmieD

very happy that you got it solved,and also happy that you provided the means for others to do so. That's what these forums are about. people helping people.

Does the Pcut ctn630 have a serial connection?  If so, you simply plug this adapter into your computer's usb port and then use a serial cable (my LaserPoint came with one) to go between the adapter and the cutter.

JimmieD

I had the same issues when using the USB connection on the Laserpoint.  I wasted a lot of vinyl on half-cut designs before trying the serial connection.  This was the solution that allowed me to use my USB only laptop.  I've had no further issues since installing this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Serial-DB9-Cable-Adapter-PC-PDA-GPS-for-XP_W0QQitemZ320217447766QQihZ011QQcategoryZ146519QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JimmieD

JimmieD, Can you please tell me, which driver does this adapter use?  Is it Prolific?

i have a pcut ctn630. i dont see where i would connect that thing. do u have a picture u can post on how u connected it?

HtsNstr21, your PCUT probably doesn't have a serial connector.  Are you having the same problem?  If so, please attach the file that you are having problems with and explain what percentage of the time you are having problems.

This is clearly a problem that we need to address.  Although there have been some occasional problems with USB cables, I don't think that USB cables are causing the issue.  It is probably a buffer issue which is related to the USB to serial converter chip.  We haven't been able to reproduce the issue, so we need your help.

I am making it a top priority.  For those of you having problems, please attach the file that you are having problems cutting.  Please also include the following details:

Cutter Model

Cutting Speed Setting on Cutter

Version of SignBlazer

Version of FTDI driver

Whether the problem is consistent?

If possible, do a few runs without the blade and time them to see if you are getting a consistent point at which the problem occurs.

One simple thing to check:  Is everyone that is having problems using the CT630 HPGL driver rather than just the standard CT630 driver?  I believe you should be using the HPGL driver.

ok today i tried cutting only one line at a time. as opposed to sending all the lines to cut at the same time and it worked fine. however, i had to scroll the vinyl back each time to the original position (time consuming). i'm using the hpgl driver.

ok today i tried cutting only one line at a time. as opposed to sending all the lines to cut at the same time and it worked fine. however, i had to scroll the vinyl back each time to the original position (time consuming). i'm using the hpgl driver.

Please reply and include the file that you are having problems with along with:

Cutter Model

Cutting Speed Setting on Cutter

Version of SignBlazer

Version of FTDI driver

Whether the problem is consistent?

If possible, do a few runs without the blade and time them to see if you are getting a consistent point at which the problem occurs.

heres the file. i finally finished it and put up the sign. it looked really good. however, i wasted a lot of time and material. having to do it one line at a time. the long lines i had to do in sections ex.("From General Electric Assurance Company") i had to do half the sentece first then the other half.

Pcut CTN 630

tried it at 50, 60 and 70 with same results. sometimes it worked best at 70 though.

Sign Blazer elements. release 6.0.21 (12/December/2007)

(not sure what FTDI driver is.)

it is very consistent. i had the same problem with another file but for some reason it worked at a different speed.

yes it has happened with other files at the same exact point in the cut.

I am wondering if this is being caused by an outdated FTDI driver.  I have asked Ken to walk assist you in checking the driver version.

Yes, if you could PM me your phone number, I would like to phone you and verify the driver version, and upgrade it if necessary.

JimmieD

JimieD, Thank you for posting this I am haveing some simular problems, I just made my purchase for one of thse cables. I will try it.

For $.99, it is worth a shot. We still cannot nail down why this is happening with only some of the units. I think it may have something to do with the driver on certain systems.....hard to troubleshoot when I cannot recreate the issue here.

Definatly worth the try. If any thing I will add the cable to my box in the garage with the other cables incase I ever need it. LOL

JimmieD

I have been having problems with my LaserPoint stopping in the middle of a cut or just taking off across the vinyl with the blade down and messing up whole graphics. Then I read some of this thread, and just happened to have one of these laying around from when I was doing some programming and have not any more trouble out of it yet. It made a world of difference in actually being able to do something else while cutting stuff out, and not have to worry about it messing up.

where would that cable connect to? my pcut ctn630 doesnt have a DB9 input. im confused about why i need this cable.

just got the usb to serial cord. installed it and now it  freezes befor it even tries to cut. i click cut then cut tile and it freezes. now what?

Cutter Model - mh721

Cutting Speed Setting on Cutter 24inches/s

Version of SignBlazer - signnlazer elements 2007

Version of FTDI drive- usb to serial

Whether the problem is consistent? yep every time