shnelson

Another attempt at layered graphics with time lapse video!

Came up with another layered graphic design, this was my first run at this one. Couple things I learned:

- When weeding, don't limit myself to pulling from left to right. First two layers would have been quick and clean if I went right to left

- Find a new work space other than the kitchen table, sooner or later the wife is going to find all of my tiny weed fragments!

Also need to do some adjustments to the graphic, mostly enhancing some of the details so I can scale it up easier.

nice.  i'm sure it is 10000% easier with that clear transfer tape... i have gotten lucky so far with the few multi-color ideas i've had so far using the conform, but that was very helpful to see.  i'll have to pick some of that up.  great job.

ok now that i see someone using app tape, guess i'll hafta break down and get some.

looks a little easier than the masking tape i've been using!  :D

Three things...

1) WOW... awesome video :D 

2) I now realize that I must need to set the depth deeper perhaps on my cutter? 

I can never just pull so easily, with small details staying behind!  Has anyone ever figured out the best way to decide what depth?

(for all intents and purposes I am still a n00b :D hehe) 

3) What would you charge for stickers like that?  Just out of curiosity :D

Again, thanks for the awesome video!

-Robert

Thanks everyone! The video doesn't really show the final graphic that well, I should have a photo of it applied tomorrow that I'll post up to show it a little better (there are reed grass cutouts on the orange layer).

Robert, I'm thinking between $5-7 for these decals which I believe comes in on the CHEAP side of the curve. Reason being is that these are promotional items, and I picked up my own equipment so I could offer the decals at a much cheaper price. Realistically, i'd expect to pay $10-12 or more based on the pricing from where I was getting them from. Thought here is that I don't make much on the margin up front, but if I can offer my target market something appealing & cheap it'll encourage growth to the site... which will hopefully pay off in the long run!

It is tough to find a happy medium with blade height. I had it to the point where would score the paper enough to leave an impression on the back side, then backed it off a smudge from there. running 12in/s @ 60g and it seems to be working well. Every once in a while it'll take a deeper bite and cut the paper, so i have some tuning left to do!

I don't think i'd even attempt these without clear app tape :D

I would definitely guesstimate that to be cheap :)  but if it is for your own pride and joy, then

it makes perfect sense.  I originally bought my cutter to make stickers for my Anti-Zombie website.

I realized it would be insanely expensive to have someone else make my stickers and I wouldn't be

able to sell them to my target audience.  Now, when I make them, I am pouring my idea into them

so it is more fun, and I don't seem to mind as much :D 

(In fact I just cut a 12" version of my logo while I was typing this, for my new Pelican Rifle case :D hehe)

The upside, is that people liked what I did, and I have slowly started making wall, car, and laptop decals

for friends and family and just with that small market, I have made back more than double what my machine

cost me.

My logo is entirely letters, and they are chewed up letters, hence why I would LOVE to be able to weed

out the letters as fast as you did :D  I suppose I need to play around with the settings more.  I am thinking

that it might really all be down to cut depth for me now.

Thanks again for your response, and best of luck!

I do it like that too, but mostly with smaller layering jobs. Larger ones and I break out the light box.

About cutting pressure, I use the least amount that will get the job done. Too little and it's obvious, since you won't be cutting through the vinyl all the way which you'll notice when weeding. Too much and you can end up with problems that aren't apparent right away, like the backing peeling up with the vinyl during application or losing small details when weeding. There should only be a very slight indentation on the backing; not even scoring really.

I was just about to ask if using a lightbox was neccessary or perhaps even easier than not using one.  Ive been using a lightbox for all my multi color vinyl decals but without the aid of registration marks.  I figure with a strong lightbox I won't need the registration marks, although anything with a dark color applied over a lighter color can be difficult to line up. Are registration marks always neccessary or more a matter of personal choice for the sign maker?

It's personal choice really.

On smaller decals I just do registration marks, on larger ones or where alignment is critical (long, two layer words for example) I use my lightbox. When I build one big enough I'll probably use it all the time.

I use an old prepress light table. (The kind they used to use to strip film for printing plates) Found it on CraigsList for $50. It's made out of steel and the glass is 36" x 36" with a diffuser sheet to tone down the harshness of the 4 flourescent bulbs.