Sign in to follow this  
shinma22

MH 871 not cutting entire graphic **SOLVED**

So, this is about the 5th time this has happened.  It seems to be random, which images it will stop on.

Some are highly detailed, others are not... they are all about 25inches x 40 inches.  The machine will

cut all of the detail, but then just stops cutting and returns to "home".  The SignBlazer software continues

to run, "sending output to cutter".... until it finishes the outline of the image.  

I did notice that the cut parts are outlined in RED and the parts (outter edges usually) are in blue, and

are not being cut.

Is there a way to figure out what is going wrong?  I am tired of wasting so much vinyl on these botched

images.

Oh yeah, the vinyl is actually gold infused platinum, beaten extremely thin.... its about 3 million dollars a

roll.  Thats for 10 feet.

Seriously though, I am being a smart alec about the vinyl costs, but it is annoying as it takes a long time

to finish all the detail, and then it basically wastes the vinyl that was cut ;D

This is a 34" MH 871 running the Sign Blazer elements for USCutter software.

BTW - it will also cut other images, just as large with no issues.

The files are ai files (live traced in illustrator, then copy and pasted into Sign Blazer).

This has worked for a year or so now, but is now messing up.... Thank you for your help!  ;D

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone else :D

-Robert

(p.s. I hope you all had a good laugh,, and maybe someone can help)

Can you post one of the SignBlazer files that you are trying to cut?

Jay

I didnt bother to save the file, since it didnt work.  I basically right-click copy the vector from Illustrator, then right-click paste it into sign blazer.  Then I size it and go to cut.

I just did another equally large file, and it cut just fine.

If you think that posting the file could help, I could save it as a file and upload it.

-Robert

BTW, Jay.... 2004 Enthusiast edition 6-spd red here.. ;D what year is your Z?

Same.

post-1657-12986558747897_thumb.jpg

Nice! ;D  so, yeah, back to the issue at hand ;D

Any idea whats going on with the cutter not completing?

Several things come to mind.  This time of year a lot of people have trouble with static build up in the vinyl if the stand is not grounded to the cutter with a wire.  part 2 is are you using a serial connection as this is more stable on long cuts.  part 3 is install a memory upgrade in your cutter - contact support for details

To my knowledge, there was no memory upgrade available for this unit.  Has this since changed?

Also, at what size file should memory become an issue?  The file was 590k not even 1 mb.

In regards to long cuts, do you mean long amounts of time, or long distance?  As I mentioned,

the cutting area is only 25"x40", but it was a very detailed design.

I am using the USB, do not have a serial port on this computer.

I also did not notice any static, but that may be it.  Do you have any examples of how people have

grounded in the past? (images?)

all of the older units have the 4mb memory upgrade and I would guess the 871 being just like the 721 would be able to be upgraded.  this helps with files that have more nodes and larger file sizes as it stores the info - the computer can send the info faster than the cutter can cut.  some people have had better luck using the keyspan usb adapter but if you are going to be cutting much and use it to make money do yourself a favor and get a win xp desktop with a serial port just for cutting  - make a dedicated  cutting computer and just design on your favorite computer and then take them on a thumb drive to the cutting computer - no internet connection and no worries about the dedicated computer getting a virus or other milady and stopping production.

On the grounding = the cutter came with a single black wire that you attach to a screw on the bottom of the cutter to a screw on the stand (scrape the paint off this one to make a good ground)  the static builds up in the vinyl and stand and will cause many problems including zapping your mainboard in the cutter.  you may not notice it as much on regular vinyl as heat press vinyl but it is there - it is the nature of the beast

If it a file that sometimes cuts and other times quits half way through or different places during the cut then you are probably losing USB connection. If the same file stops in the same place every time then it's the file. The red and blue colors you mentioned are just inside and outside cuts. You may have you software set to cut all of the cutouts first (RED) then the outside cuts (BLUE) last. It most likely just appears that the outlines are not cutting.

Jay

Well, I called US Cutter today, and discussed the memory upgrade.

I think I might buy it, but just as a pre-emptive measure for what I hope is a

long life for my cutter :D

The gentleman I talked to today, did 2 things that ensured I will continue to be

a happy customer:

1) He told me possible solutions (same as in this forum) that I should try before selling me the memory

2) He told me they are support people that take orders, not salespeople.  This kind of awesome customer centric

mentality will keep me as a customer for a VERY long time.

Incidentally, I did in fact have a serial port it turns out, as I built this Win7 machine, and the board I put in it

DID have a serial port (was not sure originally)...  Once I added that cable, Sign Blazer crashed on me the first

time, but since then, I have gone back and done that highly detailed image, and it cut perfectly.

So, like I said, I will probably get the memory upgrade, but just as a good thing to have. 

My woes are now over :D  Thank you everyone!!!

Especially US CUTTER!

Good job Scott , Jay & USCutter support  ( inserting missing & missed thumbs up icon )  :D .

Good job Scott , Jay & USCutter support  ( inserting missing & missed thumbs up icon:D .

2thumbup.gif

Oh yeah , I remember the peace sign also  :D