Sign in to follow this  
JesterTech

Banner plus Oracal 651

I have White Oracal 651 and I am going to be putting it onto a black banner. This is my first time doing a banner its 22" by 8' any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated

Apply it just like you would to any other substrate. Don't forget to clean the banner and you'll be fine.

If this is your first banner,and you try it the way the video shows..you're likely to have one messed up banner. It's not as easy as they make it look.

I kinda figured it wouldn't be a walk in the park that's why I figured I would ask around to a bunch of professionals for tips on how to do a banner

I still do them wet. Especially if there are large letters.

Jay

EXCELLENT advice for a beginner.Also, one line at a time,and nothing wider than your two hands can comfortably handle.

Now that you mention it, I do not do them exactly like the video.

- I use my home tape holder to apply my application tape. Tape is about 2" longer than cut vinyl on each end.

- Then I set it on my home made speed press so tape hangs over pipes at both ends and tacks in place. This basically keeps the application tape handy while waiting to apply and is like having a couple extra hands. I have various size pipe so home made speed press is just the right size.

- I remove the backing paper.

- I clean my banner and use application fluid.

- Then I hover my vinyl/tape over my banner.

- I start in the middle and work my way to one end. As the application tape becomes tight you can lift and re-stick it to the pipe as needed and continue on.

- Then you work the other direction.

I try to salvage application tape when I can but not an exact science. So I mostly do not re-use it.  I may need to use different tape so I get better at reusing it.  I use high tack tape and I might have better results with medium tack tape.

any directions on how to make this speed press? I have until January 10th or so to make this banner but I wanna get it right the first time so that they come back as it is for a production company.

You can apply vinyl to a banner wet also, Alot say not too but i have and it works like a charm just in case you need that extra cushion

MAke sure you pull the banner nice and tight, my first one came out perfect because it was stretched nice and tight.

I have a 22" x 8' banner unfortunately my table is 29 13/16" x 6' so I am probably going to end up doing it on the kitchen floor or some other place

I know is sounds funny but I found when your starting out doing vinyl graphics at your house and you dont have a table big enough use a hallway WALL. Hang it level, make sure its tight, and go for it!