Sign in to follow this  
JesterTech

What is the best method for masking?

I usually have my girlfriend help me do it and she likes to use the 24" roll of mask i dont know what brand it is at it is only labeled from the company which it came from. It has a habit of tunneling or wrinkling I was wondering if there was any way to correct this. I prefer to use the 12" roll as it sticks better and doesn't wrinkle nearly as much. I am curious to see if some of the masking systems are worth it but i would like to figure out what we may be doing wrong first to see if it is just the way we do it that causes the problems.

Also what is the name of the plastic piece that goes into a roll on the rollers for your cutter? is it a flange

most cutters don't even come with the flange, just the p-cut I think and most people don't use them.  The vinyl just sits on the rollers and doesn't try to go off to the sides. 

On applying app tape the 2 best methods for me is either use a big squeegee or lay the app tape sticky side up and then apply the vinyl to that.

I honestly would have never thought of masking it upside down I may have to try this and see if it helps at all.

Whew. Thank goodness forums. I'm pretty knew and have just been doing small stuff. But, I have have 12 4' x 6' banners to do and I've been having trouble getting app tape on that big of a piece, 63" x 24", without tunneling. Upside down would make sense as the vinyl roll isn't as flimsy as the app tape is. I hope it works.

I start my app. tape and stick it to my mat at edge and then I use a 24 inch paint guide with felt on it and then push at bottom of roll and I dont have problems you can buy these guides at harbor freight real cheap also keep a 12inch one around GOOD LUCK!