Nikklepikkle

Glass Etching/Sandblasting Job - anyone interested?

Hey guys, I have a custom logo I'd like etched on some beer glasses ... I just about fell off my chair when the local company here wanted $150 set up fee to prepare the artwork, when I gave it to them in a vector file ready to go....

I'd like to do 4, or 8 if the price is right... anyone interested in this job?  I'd like to have them shipped out by next week if at all possible... Thought I'd put it out here to see if anyone's interested.  Message me if you are.  The logo is attached.

post-6158-12986558550996_thumb.jpg

Ken's Glasses.eps

post-6158-12986558560222_thumb.jpg

Ken's Glasses.eps

I know i'm gonna get slammed for this next comment but wth eh???  :)

If you dont want to go the full sand blasting deal you could go with the liquid kind - $20 bucks and some vinyl will get the job done decent enough. I've done probably 10 or so and never had an issue once, well there is this dayum dog i etched in a mirror as a test for a present for my mother that sits in view everytime i walk in the door.... long story, neva mind!  :P

if I find the time and no one else wants to do it I might be able to work it into the schedule

It`s called "Armour Etch"

Look it up on line and buy it there.

mark-s

I picked some up at Michaels.

I highly recommend sandblasting over the etching cream. The cream is not consistent enough and can easily tell the difference.

knew someone would make a comment on the etching cream - gotta remember, some of us do all this just as a hobby :)

And Mark is correct! to bad no prizes today!  :D

I've done about 10 or so etchings with it and considering the cost is about $30 compared to several hundred for blasting equipment, i'll go with the etch.

The down side on the etch is that it doesn't work on all glass (i believe tempered is one it doesn't work on but dont take my word for it!)

Consistancy is probably in the eye of the beholder. Everyone that seem em has liked them, though a few got a 'your sick' comment... not sure that was related to the quality of the etch...? Also because of the way you have to do it and the way it works, getting deep etchings is out of the question....

But as i said weighing the cost, it's a dayum cheap alternative 

When you use this, do you just wipe it off after some time or what?

How do you do it, I guess is what I am asking.

Thats pretty much it.

toss on the vinyl, slop it on (i use a tooth brush to make sure it gets everywhere), then rinse it off.

The later part is where it sucks since that's when the vinyl comes off which means no second pass...

Seems the chemical reaction is good for about 5 minutes, once it's done that's it.

And dont attempt to reuse any of it, it chunks up

Thats pretty much it.

toss on the vinyl, slop it on (i use a tooth brush to make sure it gets everywhere), then rinse it off.

The later part is where it sucks since that's when the vinyl comes off which means no second pass...

Seems the chemical reaction is good for about 5 minutes, once it's done that's it.

And dont attempt to reuse any of it, it chunks up

May have to try this, easier then actually blasting.

Hum this has me thinking I need to try out the bead blaster where I work. Would be free except for the vinyl.

Harbor Freight has the bigger blasting cabinet on sale for $199 ( $179 if you are a member ) .

http://www.harborfreight.com/retail-flyer item     ( item # 93608 om 2nd page of the 1rst flyer )

that's the one I have and love it.  when assembling I used a silicone on all the seams to stop the inevitable sand leaking that always happens.  next thing I will re do it when another glove slips off i will spread some silicone on the flange, let it dry then reattach the glove to make it harder for the glove to slip off.  It's happened twice and always in the middle of something!

May have to try this, easier then actually blasting.

I have multiple compressors but no room for a cabinet at this point - so right now this is the only option for me.

Besides, no plan to do that much etching so $30 vs $200 isn't worth it for the small amount I do.

I'll say, it was there before I started blasting. By the time you see it gone, its too late. :-(  no re-do's

I'll say, it was there before I started blasting. By the time you see it gone, its too late. :-(  no re-do's

I had that problem until I cut the pressure down to 30 psi . I think you could use any pressure that will carry the media . I would rather spend a little more time & have it controlled more . It turns out more consistant with low pressure IMO . You can see areas that get cut into more than others if you don't go over them the same amount , especially if the pressure is higher .

I like the Armour Etch stuff myself, in the past whenever I blasted stuff (even in an industrial setting) the sand made me sneeze too much.

I'm partial to the blasted method with a coarser media - the fine 400 grit and Armour just doesn't have the same look