mach9

Cutting really small letters on P-Cut

Haven't been doing much vinyl work lately so I haven't been on here in a while. Hope everybody is well. I have a couple of questions about cutting really small stuff on my P-Cut. What I want to do is to cut vinyl to use as stencils so that I can use a mini abrasive blaster to etch lettering onto the barrels of my hand turned ink pens. So yes, I'm talking really small. First, what angle cutter blade would best best for cutting small stuff. And also, any idea what would be the best material to use for the stencils? I have done this previously where I etch small letters and graphics onto 6"x6" mirrors. But, I've never attempted anything this small. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. And Merry Christmas!

I never had much luck cutting anything smaller that about .25 on my P-Cut.

Use a 60 degree blade, play with your blade depth, pressure and speeds to find the setting that works best. Try weeding the text after you apply it to the pen barrel. It's sometimes easier than trying to weed the letters out on the backing paper.

Jay

I've never heard that size matters when it come's to the blade angle, it's my understanding that that's more a material thickness consideration. Of course I come here to learn new things so I'll definatly do some research on the subject.

In my experience with my CR630 you need a better blade holder that is equiped with bearings. I have a magnetic aluminum Roland holder on mine and it cuts down to around a 13pt font at a very slow speed with good (non ebay) vinyl. Well worth getting a blade holder with bearings!

I also agree with weeding after application, as opposed to before applying the app tape...

I've never heard that size matters when it come's to the blade angle, it's my understanding that that's more a material thickness consideration. Of course I come here to learn new things so I'll definatly do some research on the subject.

Because there is less blade in the material it allows you to cut tighter corners without pushing the vinyl around. Basically a tighter turning radius.

Jay

There are some other ways of cutting stencils that might be more appropriate for what you're wanting to do than using a vinyl cutter.  Totally unrelated to the forum here since it does not involve vinyl, but feel free to pm me for details.

There are some other ways of cutting stencils that might be more appropriate for what you're wanting to do than using a vinyl cutter.  Totally unrelated to the forum here since it does not involve vinyl, but feel free to pm me for details.

Please share, I'm interested.

Because there is less blade in the material it allows you to cut tighter corners without pushing the vinyl around. Basically a tighter turning radius.

Jay

Makes perfect sense.

Thanks a lot for this ...this one helps me a lot in doing such things that were not possible ever before this. But now my probs is solved after seeing this.

Please share, I'm interested.

Me too!!

Jay

http://rayzist.com/

Read up on this . I seen it & tried it at a local Sign Show . I'm sure it would be much cheaper to build the kit itself instead of buying thru them .

I was going to PM you, but since a lot of folks seem interested, hopefully you will post it here. Thanks for all of your replies!

A better blade holder sounds very interesting.  I've never liked the blade holder on my pcut. Where can you purchase differnt blade holders that will fit our machines?

A better blade holder sounds very interesting.  I've never liked the blade holder on my pcut. Where can you purchase differnt blade holders that will fit our machines?

US Cutter has a really nice one for about $40, others are less expensive on ebay too.

Isn't the blade holder on the US Cutter site the same holder that came with my pcut?

I notice on my P-Cut when I cut small letters I get strike marks where the blade starts the cut.  I have tried new blades even the other blades that have been recommended on this site as well but still get little mark where the cut starts.  On large stuff it doesn't show up...

Isn't the blade holder on the US Cutter site the same holder that came with my pcut?

I notice on my P-Cut when I cut small letters I get strike marks where the blade starts the cut.  I have tried new blades even the other blades that have been recommended on this site as well but still get little mark where the cut starts.  On large stuff it doesn't show up...

No, the holder is an aluminum upgrade.