Sign in to follow this  
fraz

Contemplating copam

So I have been on the fence about purchasing a cp2500 for quite some time and figured I'd post my issues to see if anybody had some sensible suggestions.  I've had roland stikas for years and have a bit of a clue on how to cut vinyl. My budget is really more for the MH cutters though I like the sound of professional reliability of the copam and may be able to spring for it.

My dilemma is it sounds like the copam may not be so reliable with broken pinch rollers, busted springs, and lengthy customer service interactions to get repaired.  Not to mention buying replacement pinch rollers on a regular basis at $50 a pop and not even being able to get them is a huge turn off.  If I actually started a business where I needed this equipment, this is pretty unacceptable in my book.  Seems the way many of you deal is you have other cutters so it doesn't stop you dead.  Am I close?

Issue #2 is the "don't use USB" mantra I see posted everywhere.  Az I posted in the other thread, many new machines are USB only.  Any feedback on getting reliable cutting in my future is appreciated.

I haven't had any problems with using USB but if you have a desktop I'm sure you could get an card that will give you serial ports.

Have had a Copam 2500 for 3+ years driven by a Dell VOSTROS laptop using an OfficeMax acquired USB to serial cable without any of the issues you mention. I figure there are many others like myself that aren't likely to post what I've just said as there is really no reason to make that proclaimation. Do you see what I'm getting at? Sure there wil be incidence of issues that you'll MOST certainly read about. I suspect they are still in the minority in spite of prevelance. If after reading this you are uncertain of my objectivity...I can go on a rant about the Laserpoint I had for 29 days...if that would help. :D

I agree 100 % with Edge , The only thing I consider strange is having 3 pinch rollers brealk within 3 months of each other after 3 years . The same place that 1 other member had a pinch roller break . To be very clear , that is not the machine itself , just a part that was most likely bought by the manufacturer from a supplier . I hope an updated pinch roller is made available as I plan on keeping the 2 Copams I have 4-ever , no matter how many other cutters I might buy .

I think the Copam is the best bang for the buck available , Rodger

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Edge, I couldn't agree with you more when you say "Sure there wil be incidence of issues that you'll MOST certainly read about. I suspect they are still in the minority in spite of prevelance."  My day job is a tech support engineer for over 17.5 years... I of all people "get it" :D  I just want to step cautiously before dropping big [to me] coin.

I have seen many other devices suffer on USB->serial UART software converters but I have not encountered any myself as of yet.  I have even had all three of these devices live happily on the same box:

-r/c electronic speed control tuning

-r/c lap counter

-cell phone SIM card reader/writer

Oh and on the topic of pinch rollers breaking... can somebody please post some accurate pics of a broken one in high resolution so I can see the part and weak spot(s)?  Have friend who is product designer and has CNC mill and curious to see if making improved ones is worth it.

I want to make sure that it is clear I am not blaming USCutter for any defects . It is the manufacturers problem & most products have an Achilles heel ... I hope the manufacturer have pinch rollers machined instead of cast like these appear to be & made available . The pin boss right in front of the adjustment screw broke on all 3 rollers of mine . I had never adjusted on the pinch rollers . I took a needle nosed pliers & the remainder broke off or crumbled off . The pin size is the same as the other pins . The cutter I have at my farm has cut less than 1 roll of vinyl . I'm sure it would not be cost effective to have a machine shop make 1 . I had started leaving the pinch rollers up as some advice here said that would keep flat spots off the roller itself . I think the casting material is not up to casts that small . It is very porous .

Cell phone camera . You might have to know what you are looking for to see the place where it broke . right side to the left of the adjusting screw

post-982-1298655840323_thumb.jpg

post-982-12986558414568_thumb.jpg

Cell phone camera . You might have to know what you are looking for to see the place where it broke . right side to the left of the adjusting screw

Yeah hard to see what is actually going on with poor pic quality.  Maybe if I had one in my hands we could come up with a solution.  Sounds like a poor materials selection.  Also I have limited access to injection molding machine and my bro machines molds for a living.  Without even seeing I bet if you molded out of Delrin you'd have a lifetime part.  That said, there may be another way to solve too.  We're pretty good at solutions :)

Give me an address & I'll mail you 1 . I saved all 3 because of maybe using the springs etc  or hoping they broke somwehere else . It is a multi piece unit & I'm sure a modern plastic would be a life-time part . When the last roller broke ,  the cutter had not been used in a week . I was sitting next to it & heard it break . It is hard to understand why they broke as almost anything should be strong enough to hold . Maybe a very bad batch of material used for the rollers I got ( I bought both Copams at the same time 3 years ago ) . I might be very inaccurate about the quality of other CoPam pinch rollers , but what I had was made of bad material . The other member's roller did break in the same place :) .  GREAT machine otherwise .

I am one of the big posters of "Don't use USB". I had a bad experience with my PCut and USB and serial connection fixed it. I know too that there are many users on here that use USB and have had no issues. On the lower priced Chinese cutters I think it's a gamble to rely on USB. On the high end cutters I think it's probably OK. Again, you get what you pay for.

Give me an address & I'll mail you 1 . I saved all 3 because of maybe using the springs etc  or hoping they broke somwehere else . It is a multi piece unit & I'm sure a modern plastic would be a life-time part . When the last roller broke ,  the cutter had not been used in a week . I was sitting next to it & heard it break . It is hard to understand why they broke as almost anything should be strong enough to hold . Maybe a very bad batch of material used for the rollers I got ( I bought both Copams at the same time 3 years ago ) . I might be very inaccurate about the quality of other CoPam pinch rollers , but what I had was made of bad material . The other member's roller did break in the same place :) .  GREAT machine otherwise .

Gotcha, check your pm

Hoping Santa drops a new copam on my door before Xmas :)