deth502

fridays project

so, friday night i sat down to do some cutting. i keep my vinyl in a cabinet, the only way it fits is to stack it in long-ways. going to start cutting, as is usually the case, the roll i needed was all the way in the back. so i decided i needed to rectify this situation.

i went to the hardware store and picked up some 7/8" dowels (i was thinking 1", untill i saw the price difference between the two) then took them into the shop and got a scrap piece of 2x8. about a half hour later, (mostly layout time figuring out where i wanted the dowels, i had this:

2-2.jpg

a little titebond II in each hole and a drywall screw from the bottom and here it is

2iokj.jpg

i drilled a few holes through the legs of the cuter stand for some screws to attach it with

df.jpg

and there you go!! new vinyl rack.

vefr.jpg

i realize that the capacity is no where near what some of you who do this on a daily basis need/have, but it fits my needs fine, and, hopefully, the idea will work for someone else needing a little more storage room.

one last shot of it in use

ergs.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea! I just moved into a shop and need some racks, SOON. But, like most people, I don't want to sink anywhere from $40-$220 into one. I have some wood... I think a floor stand will do the trick! +1

Yup, thats my project for today. I would be interested to see if you like how its sitting there after you try and cut a long vinyl, looks like it will be in the way to me but I hope its not! haha Nice work, hope mine turns out well!

I had some extra belt hangers thingies at work and used them. works great.

Great idea!

I had some extra belt hangers thingies at work and used them. works great.

Great idea!

If you talk nice to your local parts store, you will probably find that they have tons of these hanging in thier stock room that they have no need for anymore and they might give them to you. Never hurts to ask. If these are mounted to studs, they will hold 10 full rolls of vinyl. Mine are just mounted on the sides to molding and hold smaller rolls with no problems.

Yup, thats my project for today. I would be interested to see if you like how its sitting there after you try and cut a long vinyl, looks like it will be in the way to me but I hope its not! haha Nice work, hope mine turns out well!

actually, the roll that was in the back of the cupboard that i was looking for was that gold roll on the left, and right after i made it, i cut a 5' long design (3 of them, actually) and didnt have a problem. it started to hit some of it, but as soom as it got an inch or 2 of slack, the edge slid over, so it wasnt bunching the vinyl up. even if it did, the tops of the rolls are a good 6-8" under teh cutting strip, so bunching on the vinyl really isint going to affect the cut anyway. frankly, i have more trouble with the cutter. i sometimes have a problem where it will crease/dent the edges of a design when it sometimes gets hung up in one of the "dips" or the ruler indent right in front of the strip.

Hey deth502,

Great idea. I had mine vertical but its a small room in the house and tired of dodging it and 'fraid I'm gonna put a eye out.

How far apart did you put each rod in a row ?

Thanks

Mark

Hey deth502,

Great idea. I had mine vertical but its a small room in the house and tired of dodging it and 'fraid I'm gonna put a eye out.

How far apart did you put each rod in a row ?

Thanks

Mark

most of my vinyl is oracal 24"x10yd rolls, these are approx 3 3/4"diam full.

the rear row are 4 1/2" on center, anything will fit back there. the front are 3 1/2" on center. i have some of my other brands of vinyl that have a smaller core than the oracal. they are only about 3", so i can still alternate and fit a 3 3/4" oracal roll on every other front peg with enough room for 3" rolls between them.

I also made a vinyl rack. I will post pictures soon. I have a CNC machine shop so I made a rack out of aluminum and had it anodized. I like the wood also. great job.

so, friday night i sat down to do some cutting. i keep my vinyl in a cabinet, the only way it fits is to stack it in long-ways. going to start cutting, as is usually the case, the roll i needed was all the way in the back. so i decided i needed to rectify this situation.

i went to the hardware store and picked up some 7/8" dowels (i was thinking 1", untill i saw the price difference between the two) then took them into the shop and got a scrap piece of 2x8. about a half hour later, (mostly layout time figuring out where i wanted the dowels, i had this:

2-2.jpg

a little titebond II in each hole and a drywall screw from the bottom and here it is

2iokj.jpg

i drilled a few holes through the legs of the cuter stand for some screws to attach it with

df.jpg

and there you go!! new vinyl rack.

vefr.jpg

i realize that the capacity is no where near what some of you who do this on a daily basis need/have, but it fits my needs fine, and, hopefully, the idea will work for someone else needing a little more storage room.

one last shot of it in use

ergs.jpg

Thank you for this idea. We are just starting out and the workshop is getting finished. this will help alot.

thanks.

Another alternative to dowels is closet rod it is 1 and 1/8 th inch and comes in long tenths just cut to length and realitively inexpensive .

Dan

We used 24" vinyl, and you end up with scrap. Keeping it in a useable state was a problem until one day I was walking thru Lowe's plumbing dept. and saw 4" pvc tubing. I made a box with casters, that will hold 24 of the 22" tall pvc tubes I cut on my mitre box. They stand on edge for the loosely rolled scrap. No waste of scrap.The wall thickness of the pvc is 1/4 inch, which allows a thin strip of vinyl to be stuck on the top edge for easy reference. Some smaller scraps will end up lower in the tube.

i create very little scrap. i keep what little i have in teh small cabinet i mentioned that used to hold the rolls. 

most of my work is small decals and stencils/templates. teh small decals leave much less drop off than larger work, and what i do have, i use as stencils, since it dosent matter what color they are, so i dont have to worry about my scraps being the wrong color and not being able to use them. 

I need to make myself a vinyl rack, currently all my rolls just sit in a box on the floor. I really need to do something better.

I purchased a standing rack from ebay

cost me like 200 shipped

holds 44 rolls ..

dosent have an issue holding 50yrd of 2ft ...

its awesome , used to have them in a box on its side but I noticed slight rub marks of color

plus I let a bit of each roll hang down so it helps to flatten out