Steel546

Serial or Mem. Upgrade?

So when I cut larger projects, my EcoCut would just stop in the middle. My friend who has a MH721 said that his did the same thing, and once he went from USB to a serial cable it worked exponentially better. I've also heard that this could be a memory issue and could get a memory upgrade chip. Ideas?

Two sets of questions:

1. Should I invest in going serial or memory upgrade?

2. If I go serial, should I get the USB-to-Serial adapter, or just get a PCI/PCI express Serial card? (It just seems redundant to go from USB to USB/Serial).

Thanks!

i think you should start from the cheapest and the fastest to try to resolve the problem.

first Serial cable, and if it continues the same..Memory.

I was considering getting an off-lease Dell to use for the cutter only with a serial port, but I might try another option first.

If I go serial, would it be better to get a PCI card or a USB adapter? I don't know if anyone has tried it or if there's a performence difference between the two.

;D I find that while other process are running for example the anti virus or anti malware I have a tendancy to drop large jobs via my USB connection, one poster indicated that a direct ground connection to the plotter eliminated dropped jobs so if the issue becomes more of a problem I'll try the same before anything else (memory upgrade seems the best bet otherwise).

I currently run a dedicated laptop with minimal installed software for my cutter/plotter and still have the issue come up once in a while.

RG