CarStickersDecals

USB vs. Serial Port...

So I am in the market to buy a new cutter and this is one of the few hangups I have. Many new machines(or motherboards) don't even have serial or parallel ports.  Even the newer laptops I got only have USB ports. If USB is so bad and everybody always recommends serial ports, how the heck are people supposed to cope with all these new USB only machines?

Seems this is a recurring theme and not just a copam issue.

I've been using the USB for probably 6 months and have yet to have a problem....

But I dont use the cutter as much as most ......

A lot of it depends on the machine you are hooking it up to. The cheaper Chinese machines use lower end components. My experience was with a PCut. You may have better luck with a Graphtec or Roland. I haven't hadd the desire to even try with my GCC since serial works so well. When I upgraded my PC I just made sure it had a serial port.

Thanks a bunch.

It's crazy that new machines are going all USB which is nice... but can be a problem when needing to talk to thinks like a vinyl cutter or a CNC mill.  My last 2 laptops, netbook, and my new quad core i7 920 desktop I built and not a serial port in sight.  The latter you can always buy a board and fight the config headaches or they offer it as an "extra hopup" for the motherboard.  That said, USB is really the way to go if it works so I'll give it a shot.  I really want/need the convenience of portability and using a laptop.