MrMcStewey

Purchasing Advise for Laserpoint Vinyl Cutter w/Contour Cut

I am new to the Vinyl Cutter world, and have determined I want to get into the contour cutting world. I am seeking some advise from those of you who have been doing this awhile. Please advise on the following:

1) 24", 28", 30", which size should I get? If I get a 24", will I quickly find myself regretting the decision? Basic shirts, signs, and window / car decals are going to be my initial focus

2) How accurate is the USCutter model? Everyone says Roland is the top brand, but from the videos I see, the US Cutter looks pretty dang good! Please provide me your honest feedback.

3) What is the best software to work in for this model?

4) What do I need to know that I dont know to ask?

5) Max or minimum cutting pressure? Is there a general guideline? I am cutting vinyl and shirts.. no plans to go beyond that.

Thanks to those who advise. This is an invesement for me and I really appreciate your experience and advise. I am on a limited budget and want to be sure my funds are going toward the best I can get.

Thank you,

McStewey

I've had a p-cut 24", Refine MH1351 50", copam 24", 5 Graphtec 24" and a Roland GX-24 24".  I got rid of the 50" casue I seldom needed the extra width and most vinyl is hard to find over 30".  The Graphtecs are by far my favorite for accuracy and ease of use.  cutting a lot of small detail has been much easier on the Graphtec.  With that said I started with the p-cut and let each cutter pay for the next upgrade.

I have the Laserpoint 24" and find it meets my needs nicely. It is very accurate and I have had little more setup other then taking it out of the box, plugging it in, and setting the blade height in the holder. I used to design in Adobe Illustrator but have now started using Inkscape. The reason I use Inkscape is because I go between a Mac and a PC and I only have Adobe on my PC. Inkscape is free for both platforms so I decided to learn it and I am happy I did. The Inkscape program is robust and easy to us. For cutting, I use SignCut because it was free with the cutter. But I also have demos of Flexi and SignBlazer. I personally find SignCut to be easier to use and quick to learn.

I suggest you download the "Newbie Guide" and read through it. You will find a lot of answers to your questions along with answers to the ones you have not asked.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17489.0.html

I think you will be happy with the Laserpoint, I am.

A little insight in contour cutting. The Laserpoint will do contour cutting. Is it a simple process to use for the average user, NO. I do contour with mine but it takes some time and patience to get it set up just right. The other thing to know about the LP is that the contour function is NOT automatic. You print your design, and with it you print the registration marks on the vinyl for registering it to the contour sheet. You then load the vinyl into the machine. and you have to manually jog the cutter head until the laser lines up on the first reg mark, then the same for the second one. With the higher end units like the Rolands and the Graphtecs, this is automatic. You slap your print in hit tell it to contour cut, it scans the reg marks automatically and then cuts it out.

The main question you want to ask yourself is this. Do you really NEED contour cutting and will you use it regularly or do you just WANT it. I thought I needed it badly. I have honestly used it about 10 times int eh last year if that.  The other thing to think about is if your wanting to contour sut, is that you have to have a viable source for printing your graphics. Your standard ink-jet isn't going to cut it without the correct ink or some modifications.

That being said. I love my LP, it has paid for itself 20 times over since I got it.

Just some things to ponder.

You have posted another thing I would like more clarification on. Ink quality. So standard ink wont do it? Is there special ink that should be ordered?

I ordered the LP and am seeing now I may have been just fine without it. I will have to play with the contour aspect. So far so good but on bigger projects (big meaning a back of a shirt size) requiring a mirror cut, my LP has been locking up. I think I have found the resolution but am waiting for the part to arrive.