Sign in to follow this  
Clamwacker

Rather confused

Hi guys, our sign shop just purchased a "Refine PRO-24" plotter a week or two ago as a supplement to our Roland SP-540V.  Ironically, I know plenty about working with the Roland, but this little guy is pretty confusing.

I have heard most people talk about MH 721s and things like that, but I can find almost no resources listing the model PRO-24 -- are they the same?  It uses the Graphtec CE1000-60 drivers just fine.

I wasn't here for the setup, but right now when the blade moves down to begin a cut, it smacks against the platen pretty hard, enough to make a very audible clacking sound each time.  The shop owner, who was here for the setup, says it did not do that before.  The pressure is set to about 112 grams and the blade is just poking out of the carriage a little bit.

We are mainly planning to use this cutter for cutting Siser Easyweed thermal transfer material, because our Roland has issues with static electricity causing jams with that material.  With the downforce set to 112 or so and the speed down to 24, it appears that the pressure from the blade is causing the Easyweed material to bunch up, leading to errors in tracking and distorted lettering.

There is also, in general, a lower quality of cut when using it with vinyl, compared to the Roland.  On small (1/4" or so) letters, the normally square edges are rounded somewhat.  Is this a hardware issue more than a software issue?

Speaking of software, we are using it with SignBlazer, since I am currently unable to get it to cut directly from CorelDraw, owing to the fact that the instructions that came with the CD and the instructions I found on USCutter's site both disagree with each other. :thumbsup:  We're running SignBlazer on Windows XP with a regular old Dell computer - no real issues there that I can think of, although I must admit SignBlazer is a very awkward piece of software.  One question about that: the "jog" feature found in SignBlazer allows you to adjust the carriage origin and such -- is there an equivalent to this on the plotter itself?  All I have found are V+, V-, P+ and P- buttons which adjust the velocity and pressure.

In any case, I would appreciate any help I can get, and thanks in advance!

Just an update: I have adjusted the speed (down to 8 IPS) and added the center pinch roller, and it seems like it is working a little better.  I have tried to cut some very detailed stuff (letters about 3/16" tall with 1/16" stroke width) and it still doesn't get all the tiny details.  Is this typical of these machines?

I have this same exact machine and I still have problems when cutting Easyweed. Try using your Roland, but before hand spray "Static Guard" on the back. It's weird, but it works, haha.