Sign in to follow this  
silentdub

Thinking of purchasing a plotter setup

I am thinking of purchasing a plotter setup, I may go with a 50 inch in case I decide to cut window film. I want to start making decals and other automotive hobby stuff.

What do you guys recommend?

I have all the computer power that I need, so no help needed there, but I would want the unit, stand and anything else that I may need.

I am thinking of cutting out small decals, pictures, wording etc. I may in the future on a limited basis, cut window film for tinting.

Let me know what I should be looking at.

How much do you want to spend?

I'm not sure, I guess the price depends on what you are going to do with it and how much work is planned.

I want to keep the total operation to under a G, way under if possible.

I basically want to cut some lettering, clip art and things like that. I may sell some stuff that I make, but this will not be a high production thing at least not at first. I am in to the car scene too, so it is always nice to be able to cut some club stickers and things like that.

I see the cutters on the page, from 299.99-999.99 all of which cut vinyl, so I simply don't know. I have never done this before, so it is all new to me.

I have high powered computers, so anything that has onboard processing is a waste to me.

http://www.uscutter.com/Vinyl-Cutters--Value_c_4.html

I just looked at the cutters on this page and they seem to be in my price range.

All of them cut, so I am not sure what the real differences are between the models. It's a shame that they don't have a compare option. The one model comes in a 36 and 48, that may be better for me as I don't ever see needing something bigger than 36.

24 inch is just on the small side, 55 is more than I will ever use.

I simply don't know what to look for.

i use a 24 inch and you tile images i have done sings 16'x8' with my 24 refine

True, you can tile vinyl, but if I ever cut film for tinting, I would want it in once piece, so the 36 inch models make sense to me.

i dont think u need any bigger then 36 i have never cut tint but i know my refine leaves track marks on vinyl so i dont thing it would be good for tint

I'm thinking 36 is probably perfect, the one model I was looking at had a 24 and 55, so I would have chosen the 55.

http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-LaserPoint-Vinyl-Cutter-w-CONTOUR-CUTTING-Feature-_p_567.html

I kind of like the model above, seems like a newer design and also have the contour cutting and comes in 36.

I have the 24" Laserpoint and love it. Only thing I recommend is replacing the stock blades with some Clean Cut models, they are the best IMO.

http://www.cleancutblade.com/

P.S. - They are on sale right now also!

What do you cut with it? just text, or do can you do like cartoon characters and stuff too?

What do you cut with it? just text, or do can you do like cartoon characters and stuff too?

I do anything and everything. I haven't cut any text smaller then 1/2 inch but everything else I have thrown at it has been perfect. Some items were pretty detailed and required some time weeding but the cutter did a great job. I did a detailed monkey for my company logo and there were some really small areas that I did not clean up before exporting. They did not fair well on the cutter but we are talking shapes the size of a pinhead. I was very impressed with the cutter considering what I threw at it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.S. - All this was done with the stock blades. I have not installed the Clean Cut blades yet.

I do anything and everything. I haven't cut any text smaller then 1/2 inch but everything else I have thrown at it has been perfect. Some items were pretty detailed and required some time weeding but the cutter did a great job. I did a detailed monkey for my company logo and there were some really small areas that I did not clean up before exporting. They did not fair well on the cutter but we are talking shapes the size of a pinhead. I was very impressed with the cutter considering what I threw at it.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P.S. - All this was done with the stock blades. I have not installed the Clean Cut blades yet.

Gotcha, Thanks for your input, I'll probably go with this one then.