c4l3b

small printer conversion to solvent

OK, I have access to a team of budding electrical engineers and I want to make a conversion kit for small inkjet printers (like the epson WF series).

I'm a pretty realistic guy and will be sure to post if we find that we just can't do it, or can't do it reasonably priced (I hate hanging threads).I'm in the brainstorming phase and understand that the chances are slim. What I'm looking for is a list of requirements to go to solvent.

so far, the only solid requirement I can find is that we need heaters before and after the print.

So, I have questions.

1. print head/cartridge

--- I've heard that the solvent ink will eat the plastic. Is this true? Would a regular dye ink cart for an epson workforce be able to handle solvent? would it be a slow death, or immediate? What about the tubing on a cobra ink system?

Looks like mild solvent would be the safest bet?

2. heaters

--- what temperature has to be achieved? How tight does the temp control really have to be? Assuming that we'd be using mild solvent a heater on the head itself wouldn't be necessary would it?

looks like I have a variable temp range of 20-70C(68-158F). is this right?

3. what else?

if anyone at solventprinterconversions or cobrainks wants to contact me, feel free, I'd love to talk.

I dont see how that could work. Solvent ink is called solvent for a reason, it has solvent in it and even mild solvent ink has enough to eat through just about anything. I cant see it being a reasonable option really. You would have to come up with some sort of pre and post heaters, replace every inch of tubing and anything that is plastic that the ink will touch. Trust me when I tell you solvent ink will eat through just about any plastic or rubber.

I'm not saying that it cant be done, just asking if it is worth the effort?

i think that this could be possible. i have a cj 500 converted. the tubing needs changed later on that. but the capping station only had to be changed because the old one had pads in it. the new one has screens. the pump had to be changed out because of the tubing. the tubing could have been changed out with out a problem, but i just went ahead and bought a new pump. as for the heads the use the same head as the pigment ink. you just have to make sure that they are flushed before you put solvent ink through it.

the heaters could easily but done. also ihave printed with out them because i could not be there to turn them off when the print was done.

just a little info from my side.

i think i am going to pick up a epson printer just to mess around with.

maybe i can find an epson 3000 printer because it uses the exact same head as my printer.

"What does the team of engineers say?"

they are electronic engineers, so they say the heating is no problem. Probably create a thin heating strip with some nichrome wire and aluminum plate. The elctronics to control that will be easy. Unfortunately, without specific spec sheets on everything they aren't offering many thoughts on the ink delivery side

"company is from India - yeh right I'm going to do business with them  LOL"

Its worth a try

"I dont see how that could work. Solvent ink is called solvent for a reason, it has solvent in it and even mild solvent ink has enough to eat through just about anything. I cant see it being a reasonable option really. You would have to come up with some sort of pre and post heaters, replace every inch of tubing and anything that is plastic that the ink will touch. Trust me when I tell you solvent ink will eat through just about any plastic or rubber.

I'm not saying that it cant be done, just asking if it is worth the effort?"

Solvent printers use plastic tubing and carts. Sure, the ones on my machine may not hold up. I can probably find some that would, or even justify the loss if it only works for a certain amount of prints. That being said, it still just may not be worth it.

"i think that this could be possible. i have a cj 500 converted. the tubing needs changed later on that. but the capping station only had to be changed because the old one had pads in it. the new one has screens. the pump had to be changed out because of the tubing. the tubing could have been changed out with out a problem, but i just went ahead and bought a new pump. as for the heads the use the same head as the pigment ink. you just have to make sure that they are flushed before you put solvent ink through it.  the heaters could easily but done. also ihave printed with out them because i could not be there to turn them off when the print was done.

"

This is where I'm currently researching. From what I understand, the heads will work, but what about the ink delivery system. I have an Epson WF30, they don't have a pump... is that a necessity with solvent? I'll look into the models you listed and see what I learn.

First of all heating is not an important thing on a small desktop printer, not likely will do outdoor banners or vehicle wrap. When I used my old Rolland CJ 500 most of the time I did not even used the heater, than again mostly I printed real estate magnetic signs, some lasted up to 4 years. The Epson print head on a desktop printer can handle the eco solvent ink but sometime the manifold will fail sooner then later., Tubes will have to be changed to solvent ink us, they are available on ebay,,,  for a use of Cis you can make them easy yourself,, biggest issue is using ink cartridges that solvent compatible. I am currently testing some and may have found ones that will hold up to eco solvent ink.