I have been using my cutter for about 3 months or so now. I am ready to start making money with the machine! How would one go about getting clients? I don't really want to do Google Ad Words or Facebook ads as I have used them in the past for other advertising and have got nothing!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get in with my local schools or anything? I guess once the word gets out it is game on I would think?

I have seen a couple posts on here that people are swamped with work, I would like for this to become me as well!

Any advice is welcome!

With most business, there's no magic formula.

The key thing is hard work. Pick up the phone, open of your yellowpages and start calling to businesses. Drop by and show them what you can do, have a price sheet and business card ready.

Also, part of it appears to be about the culture that you're in. Notice how this forum seems like it's full of gearheads? When you're part of a car culture/club that is something that automatically lends itself to needing decals. Think about all of your buddies, if all of you were going to places to get something made and then suddenly you had the ability to produce what you were paying for they would gladly support you. Car clubs hunt for decals and go to a local sign shop, but then a member gets a cutter and of course they are going to be flooded with requests.

I'm attending college for graphic design. I did one thing for my friend and gave it to him in class. Within 5 minutes people were asking what it was and where they could have their own made. I was sitting right there and had jobs before the class began.

Think about one part of the market. Sure you can do banners, shirts, decals, so on and so forth, but if you're really good at one thing there's a specific market for that. Knowing that you can always expand. Try and start slow in one section and watch it grow out.

Of course, I'm just starting out as well, so these are all speculations, but this is my approach. Hard work with a bit of luck & timing. Just how I like it.

Vinyl is cheap to produce, put together little packets of decals and photos of examples, send those to businesses that you'd WANT to do work for.

Good advice. My next project will be hitting up a lot of car shows with a business card stapled to a decal on my logo. I feel like it shows them what I'm about and honestly, who doesn't love a freebie. Add that with sending out about 50 postcards to local businesses w/half of my portfolio on one side and a message on the other may sway them my way as well. Good luck

The only thing that I'd be cautious about is poaching someone's business. If you aren't part of the car culture, then make sure you aren't insulting someone by handing them that. Since I'm not part of that world, I wouldn't go for it. If you can talk shop with them about their cars you're a huge step forward. At least that's my approach.

My plan is to send packets of decals to companies that I would want to do work for. Also these potential clients are selected carefully to make sure that they wouldn't just be an order for one, but repeat customers. Part of that first packet is their logo in different colors showing options. Sure it costs a little money, but it immediately gives people an idea of whats possible.

Most people don't have a CLUE what I'm talking about when I say "decal" or "vinyl sticker/cutter". Once they understand it's the coolest thing in the world to them. Making people clear of what it is has become an essential part of my business plan. Just a simple 1,2,3 printout can show the whole process.

The only thing that I'd be cautious about is poaching someone's business. If you aren't part of the car culture, then make sure you aren't insulting someone by handing them that. Since I'm not part of that world, I wouldn't go for it. If you can talk shop with them about their cars you're a huge step forward. At least that's my approach.

My plan is to send packets of decals to companies that I would want to do work for. Also these potential clients are selected carefully to make sure that they wouldn't just be an order for one, but repeat customers. Part of that first packet is their logo in different colors showing options. Sure it costs a little money, but it immediately gives people an idea of whats possible.

Most people don't have a CLUE what I'm talking about when I say "decal" or "vinyl sticker/cutter". Once they understand it's the coolest thing in the world to them. Making people clear of what it is has become an essential part of my business plan. Just a simple 1,2,3 printout can show the whole process.

I wondered about that method but didn't know if that would be stepping on any copyright toes...

I've thought about that, sometimes the risk is worth the reward.

I'm not going after Disney or any other large corp that would flip.

I'm shooting more at products that I personally use from small businesses, most of them local where I could get a face-to-face.

St Louis Tech,

I would look at your name again, and think about what people with equipment would use decals for?

My brother-in-law owns a computer company in town, and he made up decals to stick on the computers with his Logo and contact info.

You can call computer companies in your area, and also appliance stores.

You can also go to a Trade Show for construction companies or any type of business to offer banners and yard signs, car dealers for window stickers, and license plate frames, flags, etc. etc. You don't have to get a booth at first, just walk around and pass out your cards. Even Swap meets and flea markets need signs. I sell small signs that say $1, $2 or 3 for $2 or something like that. Some times vendors have a fail out with their vinyl vendor and need a new one.

It does take work, but as a few people said, call call call.

There's one easier place to go, okay actually two. Craigslist, but they do get cheap people calling. I always give them a Promotion, and almost always people call and want something more. I'll say like $3.25 1 color 1 location t-shirt, and they call and say, How much for 1 color on two locations. Since I only have to provide 1 t-shirt the second location is almost all profit except ink.

The second tip is local Small Business Networks. Some you pay to join, and others are free. Look in your local newspaper and on Craigslist in the Business Sections, Small Biz Ads, and in the Community Section under Groups.

Also Meet-Up groups.

Even if some cost money, they usually allow you to go to a meeting or two. If you don't want to pay, call them anyways, and go to whatever number of meetings they'll allow for free. Give out your cards. Unfortunately, many of the members don't want to pay high prices and may call you if they already have a guy or gal in their group.

Also, send an email to all your friends and family telling them you now offer Vinyl Lettering and Transfers.

Always be selling!

Get yourself a ton of business cards, a decent/creative graphic for the back window of your vehicle and a simple DIY website. EVERYTIME you see a small or medium sized business or commercial construction site take the time out to stop and ask for the business. Also make up a bunch of decals with your web address and phone number to stick them to the glass on vacant buildings/business and then go hunting for work whenever you're out and about!

That's all I use and I get so many calls I usually turn away 30% of the jobs.

RG

Always be selling!

That's it right there.  Just like a famous performer is always on stage while in public, a successful business owner is always selling.  When the wife sees lame graphics on a vehicle, truck, etc., she'll jump out of the car at a stop light, tell them how much more business they could have with a well designed logo and graphics and hands them a card.  We've got a number of jobs that way.  When she sees a lame yard sign, she calls the number on the sign and does the same thing.

Be proactive.  Business won't come to you...Not until you're well established anyway.

Don't forget the Yellow pages.

Also, there's a bunch of free sites you can put your business information on. They work too. I put our info on, Super Yellow Pages, Yellow pages online, etc., and Merchant Circle, LinkedIn, Facebook, Myspace. Submitted our site to Yahoo, Google, MSN, and others.

When people do a search for screen printers in my area I come up. They call me pretty often from the submissions.

My wife has done the same with business as someone else mentioned. She's mentioned our business at several parties and we get calls.

Don't be afraid to print some transfers with your information and logo, than heat press them near the label or on the bottom of the t-shirt.