mforsman

Logo Design

Although this isn't a big job or something really that cool, I figure you guys might want to see it.

Since my cutter showed up Friday, I've been really excited about the whole thing. I plan on paying for my vinyl by cutting for friends and friends of friends that go to my school (an art/design school). Since I had a few huge freelance projects that were sucking my soul I decided to set aside 2 hours tonight and see what I could come up with for a logo.

I settled on the name "Quality Cut Vinyl", mostly because the domain name was available. I also picked up "Quality Cut Decals" since the sticker market is what I'm more targetted towards. I'm not hoping to open up a storefront to sell signs, but I figured that since vinyl and CNC's are the new hand painted, why not hark back to what used to be a standard sign. I found this image and it inspired the name http://www.typarchive.com/files/gimgs/17_quality.jpg, also the style.

Then I just did some quick sketches, made a vector from scratch and had it wrapped up in an hour and a half.

There's tons of work that could be done exploring options and playing with getting this lock-up right, but I'm happy with it for the amount of time spent.

The example of it in vinyl is stuck on cheap picture frame glass where i've been testing and practicing.

Thanks,

MDF

post-11280-12986557158327_thumb.png

post-11280-129865571586_thumb.png

post-11280-12986557158768_thumb.jpg

post-11280-12986557172866_thumb.png

post-11280-12986557173041_thumb.png

post-11280-12986557173205_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! I'll update this thread as it progresses and is refined. Also how it is applied in different situations such as promo items & the web.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with your question so hopefully one of these responses will provide the answer!  :thumbsup:

Copyright from my understanding begins as soon as the logo is created. It's proving that you were the original creator that can be the troubling part. Usually the easiest and most secure way is to register it as a trademark. Since this is just a small hobby thing, I'm not worried about someone stealing my logo. Also I'm not willing to invest any money in to the trademark process.

The fact that I was inspired by the "quality" banner doesn't void their copyright in any form or shape. It may have similarities, but overall it's pretty clear it's different.

Here is a CHEAP simple way to prove you where the creator and its your work it has been used for years.

Print out a copy put it in a sealed envelope and mail it to yourself.

Keep the unopened letter in your files

The postmark is proof as of that date it was created by you.

I've recently heard that doesn't hold up in court. But I'll do it anyways, it's worth 44

Mailing yourself a design or idea is NOT a legitimate way to copyright a design.  You can't prove that the envelope hasn't been reopened.  That being said, you can timestamp your logo with a service like https://beta.certtime.com/.

You can also print it and have it notarized.  When they notarize it, make sure the seal impression goes into the image and not just on the white space.

I like the logo. I like the site you linked too (www.typarchive.com). It has great ideas for different signage looking back into history. I have been looking dor some ideas for a design in our laundry room. Looks like some great ones there.

Thanks

Jay

I just found this site for free copyright.

give it a look

http://myfreecopyright.com/

here is a artical also.

http://womeninbusiness.about.com/od/copyrightlaws/f/FAQlaw-selfmail.htm

Thanks, very good for clients that want orig logos and request protection of some sort, or better yet those who don't pay for the designs you send them and then use the PDF to get it done from someone else. That's happened to me twice and one of those times the guy used the logo I created and sent as a sample for his menu, flyers, business cards, tshirts and additional locations he's opened.

RG