Sign in to follow this  
J3werks

Getting vinyl to stick

So I do mostly racecars, and I picked a customer who buys all his own paint film, and wraps the hoods and roofs instead of painting them. The problem i run into is getting the vinyl to sick to the underside of the hood after I wrap it. The bottom of the hoods are just plain fiber glass, and the vinyl does not want to stick at all. Any tips of ideas that would get it to stick would be greatly appreciated.

Are you cleaning this throughly? I have much experience in fiberglass laying and molding, and as it sets it puts a wax layer on the air exposed area to prevent it from being sticky.

Wipe down with acetone to remove this as otherwise you will never get a decal to stick on the raw unfinished glass.

Are you cleaning this throughly? I have much experience in fiberglass laying and molding, and as it sets it puts a wax layer on the air exposed area to prevent it from being sticky.

Wipe down with acetone to remove this as otherwise you will never get a decal to stick on the raw unfinished glass.

Great tip Mopar

I cleaned it with alcohol, but i guess that night not be abrasive enough? Someone also told me to try 3m primer, and just prime it before i start.

you cant prime it either without sanding or removing the protective layer with acetone. The primer will flake off as will any paint. if priming, be sure to sand ENTIRE surface, not just the tops of the rough parts. Start with 80, then 180. Then lay on the primer.  Alcohol will not touch this substance. Maybe denatured alcohol, but agin i would recomend using acetone. But be sure not to get any on gelgoat or and fininshed part of the panel as it will softern the finish.