Sign in to follow this  
ramy

Sandblasting Glass

Looking to try my hand at this, what is the best medium to use for sandblasting glass?

I use Aluminum Oxide (100 grit) at 30 psi and just plain ordinary vinyl.

What do you use for a gun?  I've been using an air eraser with 200 grit AO because that's all that will fit in the air eraser.  I tried with 70 grit and it just clogs it up.

I'm waiting for a deal to come around on a cabinet so I can just get it over with.

I have a small blast cabinet from Harbor Freight.  Not the nicest thing out there but it gets the job done.  I checked this one out at Tractor Supply the other day ant it looks decent for the price.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/sandblasting-tools-accessories/black-bull-abrasive-blast-cabinet-3951103

220 Grit AO is the way to go, leave a nice smooth frost on the glass.  Got mine from Harbor Freight.

so really you could get started etching  for just under $300 or so!

and a bit of practice... :)

Depending on what cabinet you get, maybe half that.  the AO is pricey but worth it.

so really you could get started etching  for just under $300 or so!

and a bit of practice... :D

If you already have a compressor, yes. 

I use the air eraser without a cabinet and do just fine....although you usually end up with a little grit in your teeth...and hair...and shirt.  It uses such an insignificant amount of media that it's really not worth trying to recycle it.  I use maybe half a tablespoon off 200 to do a beer mug.

With a smaller blaster, like the eraser, a cheapo compressor will do just fine.  For the bigger setups like a pot or gravity feed gun, you're going to need a much bigger compressor.  I personally use an 80-gallon emglo that's rated for 17cfm @ 170psi.....but that's just a tad overkill.  :)

"I use the air eraser without a cabinet and do just fine....although you usually end up with a little grit in your teeth...and hair...and shirt."... AND LUNGS!

DO NOT SANDBLAST WITHOUT A FRESH AIR MASK! FACEMASK RESPIRATORS ARE NOT RATED FOR SANDBLASTING.

also ao has a static electricity problem that makes it hard to see what you are doing. silicon carbide is a little more expensive, but worth it. no static build up and discharge and it doesn't break down like ao.

bb