Vinyl Customs

First try at blasting

This thread inspired me to give it a try too.  I figured it's not worth starting a new thread over.

$5 giant beer mug from Garden Ridge.   Took about 20 minutes from sitting down in front of the computer to filling the mug with beer.  (That's 2-12 once bottles in there and it still wasn't enough to completely fill it!)

Looks like you just put vinyl on it?

This thread inspired me to give it a try too.  I figured it's not worth starting a new thread over.

$5 giant beer mug from Garden Ridge.   Took about 20 minutes from sitting down in front of the computer to filling the mug with beer.  (That's 2-12 once bottles in there and it still wasn't enough to completely fill it!)

Comic sans and then you filled it with dark beer!?  I oughta ..

Sweet!  Love the flame job!  I just "Harleyed up" my tanning bed.  Our buddy Bob says it makes me look tanner.  ;D  (Tanner?  Does that sound right?  If not just use "more tan".)

So tell me folks is a blasting cabinet the way to go?  My guy is a recently disabled hyper-active roofer.  Getting him something to do would be a great xmas gift for me. ;D

Anybody seen the South Park episode about the Harley riders ? I am not a fan of South Park but that episode & the bit of the Nascar episode that I have watched already is hilarious . It is about calling Harley riders Fags & having the dictionary changing the definition of Fag . It is not a sexual preference bashing episode , but does have the 4 lettered F word in it . It is aimed at the " RUBS " ( Rural Urban Bikers ) more thsn the hard core section . My wife worked at the Annapolis Harley Dealer for several years & I have raced / ridden motorcycles all my life & started out with a Harley ( made in Italy ) 125 dirtbike . I ride Jap sportbikes & dirtbikes, but made sure I sent my brother-in-law this link as he just bought a Harley ;D .

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word

That episode killed me.  We call them "credit card bikers" and recently decided that if you ain't carrying something the cops would chase you for .. you're one of them.

We're in the clear.. they'd totally chase us.  Whew. ;D

Hi Suzie ,

Yeah , The " Billy Jack " movies in the early 60's set off that fad & has many different meanings for many people ... the expert psychologists that studied the " biker " behavoir concluded it was " male bonding " .. that cracks me up also .

With the Sons Of Anarchy series , it has many more wanting to be looked at in that light . I am not a 1% er & don't want to be . I do prefer to do my own thing & not imitate anybody .

Blasting cabinet is great . I bought a $219 unit from harbor freight & it does a great job . I use a small electric compressor & have the psi regulated to 30 right before the cabinet & the compressor loafs .

Looks like you just put vinyl on it?

Not sure what you mean.  I used some old plain white no-name vinyl as the stencil, but what you see in the pic is the blasted finish.  I used an air eraser to 220 aluminum oxide.

As far as a cabinet goes, the air eraser holds about a tablespoon of media and I used maybe half of that amount to do that one mug.  I wouldn't use the recycling of media as an excuse to buy one unless you're doing tons of glasses....but having a cabinet to keep the dust down and crap out of your eyes sure is nice.  I'll pick one up as soon as I find a sweet deal on Craigslist or something.

Has anyone tried a heavier grit AO media?  I picked up a jug of 70grit some some black beauty but it's too heavy to pust through the air eraser.    I suppose I could try it with my little spot blaster.