pitbull1126

Credit card Acceptor: Square

There isn't a law saying you cant charge fee for credit card usage. Everyone thinks there is since EBay and Paypal started shutting down accounts that did it. And that's just because theyown both companies.

yes there is laws about it, and also on any credit card authorization contract it will specifically say you cannot. I know there is alot of people that do charge for this but just so you know it is not legal and also a breech of your contract.

If your paying more for something using a credit or debit card, I suggest you find a new place to purchase whatever it is from them that they supply to you.

Plus thats just bad buisness to include all these extra fees onto something after a price is given.

If you are that worried about 3% charges from increased revinueand ability to charge customer on spot build it in to your overall pricing and do like tec said, offer 3% discount for cash. IMO way to much math. I just beleive its part of doing buisness. I charge same price if its cash, check, credit/debit cart, change or whatever. I just wanna get paid and get paid asap.

Actually you are partially correct, but mostly incorrect.

The Federal Truth-in-Lending Act prohibited surcharges on credit card purchases until 1984; since then, there has been no Federal law on that subject. (Other provisions of the law are still in force.) The states of CA, CO, CT, FL, KS, MA, ME, NY, OK, and TX have laws against surcharges, according to Bankcard Holders of America.

Most of the hype against the charges are from the credit card companies themselves.

Kevin

Thats a good paragraph from a article but incomplete data is given when quoting that specific paragraph and it is largly falsifying what you are trying to point out.

By Charging that fee you are in breech of your contract in any state. Unless you are strictly taking Discover cards and charging the fee. But if you are taking more than Discover and charging the fee on strictly Discover, you then breech discovers contract by discouraging the use of that card with fees only associated to that card.

But if YOU ARE a merchant you would see this in your contract>

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/BM-Entire_Manual_public.pdf

5.11.2 Charges to Cardholders

A Merchant must not directly or indirectly require any Cardholder to pay a surcharge or any part of any Merchant discount or any contemporaneous finance charge in connection with a Transaction. A Merchant may provide a discount to its customers for cash payments. A Merchant is permitted to charge a fee (such as a bona fide commission, postage, expedited service or convenience fees, and the like) if the fee is imposed on all like transactions regardless of the form of payment used, or as the Corporation has expressly permitted in writing. For purposes of this Rule:

1. A surcharge is any fee charged in connection with a Transaction that is not charged if another payment method is used.

2. The Merchant discount fee is any fee a Merchant pays to an Acquirer so that the Acquirer will acquire the Transactions of the Merchant.

thats not bad at all i just ordered mine about a week ago and i got an email today stating that i will have it in hand in a couple of days.

so had anybody really used this thing yet?

We can argue semantics all you want, but it is not illegal in most states to charge the surcharge. Are there contactual limitations imposed by card companies yes. but it I'd not illegal, they canv throw you in jail for it they just cackle your contract.

Btw, got my reader this afternoon. It works great. The one thing I dont like is that they want you to create an account on squares website to full the full receipt you email your customers

Kevin

In CA at least even Carl's Jr. charges a service charge to swipe your card, others I've seen have a min.

RG

got mine today!! this is going to make things alot easier. i think it's cool that they put a way to sign the bill in there.

I was thinking about getting this for my Droid X, but im a bit worried about security and giving out my social security number.  Anyone have any thoughts or know how secure it is?

Seems pretty secure. I've gotten to use it a few times and haven't had any issues. It sends receipts, puts the money into your square account, and in about 5 days you'll have in your bank account. Very cool, I think. Also, when you accept a card (manually), you just need the number, CVV, exp., and zip code.

Seems like a pretty cool idea, really opens yourself up to more business by accepting credit cards. Wish it worked on my Droid Eris haha

I have used mine a few times and had no issues at all, I hope to use it a lot more this weekend.

I have been debating on what to us for credit card transactions on the go and i have bough Intuits Mophie Marketplace. It was $180 and has a monthly charge of $12.95. I know this is more than the Square Reader but the Square Reader just doesn't seem as legit to me.

It's all personal preference but i'd rather go with a known name than something that's free, Too many free things (free monthly charges, free dongle) just seems out of place. The Mophie is a entire case for your iPhone or iPod Touch that has the reader at the bottom.

I'll let everyone know how it works.

I have been debating on what to us for credit card transactions on the go and i have bough Intuits Mophie Marketplace. It was $180 and has a monthly charge of $12.95. I know this is more than the Square Reader but the Square Reader just doesn't seem as legit to me.

It's all personal preference but i'd rather go with a known name than something that's free, Too many free things (free monthly charges, free dongle) just seems out of place. The Mophie is a entire case for your iPhone or iPod Touch that has the reader at the bottom.

I'll let everyone know how it works.

Its chief executive is Jack Dorsey, who co-founded Twitter

Have any of your credit scores been affected by this for anyone that's using it??

Funny line of questioning...

Care to elaborate?

Have any of your credit scores been affected by this for anyone that's using it??

Funny line of questioning...

Care to elaborate?

I think he is concerned about providing his SSN. It should have no effect on your credit score AT ALL. I ended up taking in a little over $200 on it last weekend and it worked great and I had the money in my checking account by Tuesday.

Yes, concerned about providing my social security number. They say on the page it's only for verification, but they  may have in the fine print something where they run your credit. I work for a bank and we sell Merchant Services to our clients. Merchant Services are subject to credit approval. I was also looking up reviews on this particular company and one of the negative reviews was someone saying they run your credit every other month or so. So I just wanted to see if any of you guys ran into this problem?

Received my swiper today and it works pretty good.  Have to swipe the card a few times sometimes though to get it to work

I have had mine for about a week now and tried to swipe on 3 diff. occasions...swipe faster, swipe slower, swipe too fast, invalid swipe....what's the trick? may need to have my wife swipe it, she has never had a problem swiping my debit card! lol