elpelon

odd cutting issue on corners

Hi all,

I have a Graphtec CE5000-60, and have been absolutely loving it.  Recently, I've tried cutting some fairly standard stuff (Helv font, 2 inch letters, for example), and I'm getting some pretty weird things happening on the corners of my cuts.  It's almost like the blade is spinning in place before lifting, as the corners of the cuts have either small "serifs" on them, or if the cut is on the inside, it takes a bit there as well (see the image with the "A").

I've tried replacing my blade (the blades are non-Graphtec blades, but they've cut well in the past), and slowing down the cutting speed, but it happens no matter what adjustments I make.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

post-7325-12986556876961_thumb.jpg

post-7325-12986556896355_thumb.jpg

I use non graphtec blades and have never gotten  that,  more info.  what is your blade offset set at?  what cutting software.?  Have you taken the blade holder apart and made sure there is no small bits of vinyl inside the holder? .  Have you tried a drop of oil in holder?  What does your test cuts look like?  Are they nice and sharp square/ triangle?

Good questions! (I knew I wasn't giving all the required information here)

- Blade offset is at 0, and I've never mucked about with this setting previously (e.g., I wasn't using it for troubleshooting previously)

- I added a drop of oil and ran a few test cuts, but I'm still getting the small bits on the corner

- I'm using SignCut for the Mac (this has worked pretty flawlessly in the past)

I assume the test cuts would indicate the issue is with the cutter and not the software.  Thoughts?

So you are saying, that the test cuts  (square/ triangle have these also?  Is that correct?   Does the offset change when you change it - or +  does it get any better or worse?   Also the  tip of the blade should just barely be seen out of the blade holder...  Is the blade cutting into the backing at all?  Actually you can take the blade holder in your hand and run it across some vinyl. if it cuts into the backing it is out too far. What cutting software?

Exactly - the test cuts have the same issue as regular cuts.  I tried adjusting the offset, but am still having the same problem.  As a matter of fact, the offset doesn't seem to be affecting the issue at all - the little "serifs" (for lack of a better word) are the same size and everything.

Could this possibly be a loose belt or something of that nature, do you think?

not sure about that,  but do you have any gouges in the cutting strip?  If not, maybe next step is Graphtec Support.  Unless someone else can help you out. 

• Like 1

Check your manual for the OFFSET ANGLE. Page 4-50.

Default is 30.

Or do a complete reset by holding down the up arrow and turning on the machine.

The OP did not say they made sure there is not anything in the blade holder . a little piece of vinyl can cause problems like that .

Also check and make sure your blade holder is in all the way..The ring on the holder, it should be seated flat on the metal arm...If not it can cause weird cutting problems as well...I had a similar problem when I thought the blade holder was in correctly and it was not..Good luck with you problems, hope it helps..

stetson5331

• Like 1

Hey Guys! Just thought I would post an update since this was last month and geez... I have since figured it out.

When I first got the plotter I am sure the original owner had already figured things out with it so the settings were "set"

when I installed the software on my computer since I was using Flexi 8.1 it did NOT have the proper drivers for this machine, soooo I had to resort to using the drivers for a regular Graphtec Craft Robo (not Pro) and since the graphic I would send to cut would output at 2 x the normal intended size I had to counter that problem by sending my intended size at HALF intended size (so 1" if I meant to output 2")

I did NOT like doing this I wanted to use this plotter to it's full capabilities so I went out and purchased Lxi 10 from someone who was not using it... this software DID supposedly have the drivers for the plotter... when I tried sending the job it DID communicate but it was cutting things all f**ed up the way I was saying earlier in my original thread (I will re-post this there as well) so then I thought that the Lxi software was messed up (that conclusion was reached after I had tried everything I thought was possible like changing offset, changing steps and so forth... so then I purchased Flexi Starter 8.6 since I heard THAT program also had the right drivers..

well while waiting for the software to come in I did a graphtec RESET by holding the up button and turning the plotter ON I tried running Lxi again just to see if it would work and this time it was worse -_- so when Flexi 8.6 came in I hooked it up and ran it.. SAME issue tried all the same things No avail

Well I checked the blade holder as I stated I would in the last post and that was not the problem... so rulled out EVERYTHING except... the "TOOL" setting it was set to 09U for some reason.. so I set it to 15B ran a job and VIOLA! FIXED! UGH! I am sooo dumb! HAHAHA

ever since I changed this setting this plotter has been cutting like a dream! :) all I had to do was see every possible "IF" factor to figure out it was something so simple (and isn't it always?)

Geez this was almost more annoying than spending 8 hours staring at text code trying to find the missing "space" or "bracket" in PHP code -___-