Sign in to follow this  
ff958

Splicing Translucent

I have a sign to do that id 6' x 8'. It is two color with the first layer is an oval that covers most of the sign. I will have to to that part in two sections because my cutter will only cut 42". What is the best way to do this without having a dark line or a gap. Any suggestions?

Depending on how wide the overlapping section is, you could overlap them, then slice down the overlap and remove the overlapping pieces.

Good suggestion Midwaste - I would worry about gaps as the vinyl shrinks - since it is the first layer  - maybe the subsequent layers will act to anchor the splice.

Here are some suggestions I found (google is your friend type stuff - I haven't used translucent vinyl)

1 If you can - farm out the larger first layer and do it in one piece.

2 A small overlap on a large sign will not be too noticeable - .10 to .25 was suggested - I don't know how small an overlap can be and still compensate for shrinking of the vinyl.

3 Make splice not on vertical or horizontal line - fools the eye a little and reduces how obvious the overlap is.

4 If you just apply the edges just butted up together (or use midwastes suggestion and trim to just meet at the edges) the vinyl will shrink and allow light through the gap after only a short time.  Someone suggested applying a high performance clear 1/4" strip along the splice to keep the edges together.

5. The old school (and preferred as do-able and durable) solution seemed to be to paint the substrate and apply the vinyl - I didn't know there were translucent paints - and would not have thought to try painting.

-Mike

Thanks for the input guys, I never thought about google. Even tho I use it for about everything else. Still not sure which way I will go but now I have few ideas. Thanks again