Sign in to follow this  
DK-Freestyle

Cleaning ink on a screen??

Did a few shirts today with some white ink, went to get a snack and came back about 5-10 minutes later and started cleaning up my work station. I took the screen out to rinse it off and the ink wouldn't move. It was still wet ink, but it wouldn't rinse off. I grabbed the scuff pad that came with my kit and started scrubbing and hosing the ink to try and get it off, but the screen mesh tore before I could get the ink off. It was out of a brand new bucket of screen printing ink, still wet, and I couldn't get it to come off.

How do you guys clean your screens??

Yeah, you don't want to get water anywhere near plastisol ink.  You need to get some press wash.  You can use ink degradent if you are planning on reclaiming the screen immediately, as it will soften the emulsion, whereas press wash will not.

Press wash:

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/site/799934/product/CC147-QT

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/site/799934/product/CCSBEWQT

I hate Plastisol Ink, but it works well.

Here's a big tip. You can use Mineral Spirits. It cleans great and won't hurt your screens, only  you.

Also, here's an even better one I picked up off another forum. Use "LA's Awesome ORANGE Cleaner from Dollar Tree". It's $1 and work pretty well.

Spray some on the screen or anything you're trying to clean Plastisol Ink off of, and then start wiping. After you wipe a layer or two then start using water. It's a detergent and degreaser too.

I bought about 5 bottles from our local Dollar Tree store. You can also buy it online a case at a time. It's odorless and does a very good job.

Use a Resperator, or mask of some type. Fumes are odor less, but you can breath in potent chemical in the LA's Total Awesome Orange Cleaner or other chemicals.

Paul

I hate Plastisol Ink, but it works well.

Here's a big tip. You can use Mineral Spirits. It cleans great and won't hurt your screens, only  you.

Also, here's an even better one I picked up off another forum. Use "LA's Awesome ORANGE Cleaner from Dollar Tree". It's $1 and work pretty well.

Spray some on the screen or anything you're trying to clean Plastisol Ink off of, and then start wiping. After you wipe a layer or two then start using water. It's a detergent and degreaser too.

I bought about 5 bottles from our local Dollar Tree store. You can also buy it online a case at a time. It's odorless and does a very good job.

If you use LA's Awesome ORANGE Cleaner from Dollar Tree or Mineral Spirits will it damage the emulsion at all. Or will you be able to store the burned screen and use the design for later?

Thanks

Anyone know of some other off the shelf chemicals to use?

I heard of people using Peroxide mixed with water for spot remover.

Anyone know of something we can use as a DeHaser?

With the smell that comes from dehazer I'm not sure it's anything you can pick up in store.

We use 90%? hydrogen peroxide in our shop as a scorch remover. works pretty good spray or dab it on light scorches run it through the dryer. We have found that this does not always work and make sure you get hydrogen peroxide and not the peroxide for hair.