Sign in to follow this  
Toolman

First attempt with air eraser

Went out yesterday and got me an Air Eraser. Here is what i did this morning

post-7100-12986556377332_thumb.jpg

post-7100-12986556377835_thumb.jpg

post-7100-12986556403851_thumb.jpg

post-7100-12986556404169_thumb.jpg

Great job Toolman! I started with an air eraser, advanced to a blasting cabinet, and am about to purchase the pencil blaster. I am addicted to etching glass. I am ready to start selling all the stuff I have etched.

so question with these do you still need a cabinet?  Or could you just go out on the lawn and blast away?  And if so would it be worth doing it that way?

You would be wasting your abrasive powder and dirtying your lawn. With a cabinet you would be recycling your abrasive.

Great job Toolman! I started with an air eraser, advanced to a blasting cabinet, and am about to purchase the pencil blaster. I am addicted to etching glass. I am ready to start selling all the stuff I have etched.

You should sell your stuff before you start upgrading to more equip, stuff might not sell and youre stuck with equip that doesnt bring in money and items youve made that you are going to end up using yourself

If someone was going to get in to this what would they need? After reading several posts about etching I am very interested in this, as I think more sales would come from this ability than vinyl stickers.

If I wanted to do small stuff to learn and start out what contents would I need? Cost estimate?

Air Eraser from HF?

Compressor?

Can someone help out a newb?

Thats about all you need along with the vinyl to mask and any cheap vinyl works fine

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1590.0;attach=4168;image

At another forum I hang out at we have an entire section dedicated to sandblasting

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1590.0;attach=3919;image

I love it,now to get my wife on board with more stuff......If it makes money though???Also wanting to know if the air eraser uses propellent can or run from small compressor?thanks

compressor

Is there a better compressor that I need to look for?

Also do I need a cabinet or can this be done with no enclosure?

it can be done outside with no enclosure - the enclosure just lets you work inside without the mess. compressor depends on the unit you are blasting with, the eraser uses less air that a siphon feed cabinet. some people have added a T and use a eraser in a cabinet.

here is a homemade one:

http://www.vinylforum.org/smf/sandblasting/my-homemade-cabinet/

it can be done outside with no enclosure - the enclosure just lets you work inside without the mess. compressor depends on the unit you are blasting with, the eraser uses less air that a siphon feed cabinet. some people have added a T and use a eraser in a cabinet.

here is a homemade one:

http://www.vinylforum.org/smf/sandblasting/my-homemade-cabinet/

Sorry to be a pest, but if I was looking at the Air Eraser at HF and wanted to do mugs and small stuff. What would be a good compressor to get? Electricity or gas compressor? Should I look at PSI or CFM when buying a compressor?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

I think customized mugs and such would sell like hot cakes, but I might be wrong!

Think i'll leave myself open to the abuse of the forum experts but...

I've been doing some etching here and they've all turned out pretty good, but i'm using the etching cream...

What's the advantage of other methods?

mainly different look.  I use sand for a courser look while other use aluminum oxide for a smoother fine look.  I personally think the blast is easier to get a even look across the etch