Sign in to follow this  
njevans

MH871 Static Solution New Solution for Crazy Cuts and other static problems

My MH871 was experiencing erratic cuts and on occasion would have a mind of it's own.  I followed the directions to ground the cutter to the stand, but this did not work.  I decided to open the cutter (not under warranty) to see if there was a loose connection.  MAKE SURE THE POWER CORD AND CONNECTION TO THE COMPUTER ARE BOTH UNPLUGGED (I know it sounds silly to mention this). I removed the left end cap where the power cord plugs in.  From the back of the outlet, you can see that there is a black ground wire screwed to the chassis of the cutter.  Remove the screw for the ground wire and scrape the paint off around the hole.  Replace the screw and ground wire, then the end cap.  The ground wire for the power was not actually being grounded because there was no metal to metal contact.  This fixed the problem that I was having and might save someone the trouble of thinking that it is there software or driver.

wow, seriously?

is that really the problem with all these cutters and no one knew enough to fix this? thats really sad.

im gonna tear mine apart right now and see how it looks.

ok, heres my report.

let me start out by saying, i have had one or 2 instances where the cutter did something crazy, but i wouldnt really consider it an issue with mine. maybe once every 100-150 cuts. so i might not be the best one to say if this is really a "cure" or not.

but as it stands, i remove my endcap and saw exacly what you were talking about.

i checked mine, and i can say, while it is set up the same, i have complete contunity between the ground lug on the outside, where you plug the cord in, too all points i checked on the chassis of the machine. yes, it was connected to the coated metal of the chassis, but the screw is clean, and the metal tab of the wire is grounded through its touching the screw, and the screw threads that go into the aluminum side plate.

possibly dirty threads could have been your problem, and for sure, its not the BEST way to do it, but after examining it, i dont necessarily think that its a fundamental design flaw.

I could see how this might help with a grounding situation, but did it do anything for the static problem that everyone is dealing with?  Static doesn't work quite like electron flow.  Sometimes grounding is a separate issue entirely.  I tried to build an ESD (electro-static discharge) brush, but that hasn't worked very well yet.  Now looking to buy an ionizing fan ($200+ for a cheap one) or possibly a proper ESD brush from a manufacturer. 

Has anyone else had this problem?

For the static issue, (which i haven't experienced yet), someone may want to pick up a few small (link) chains, screw them to the top of the unit and lay them across the rolls.. This should dissipate any static build up in the rolls... If it's just generic static buildup in the room, we used to take something like a Windex bottle full of water and lightly mist the carpet...