Sign in to follow this  
cm92

matte white car wrap vinyl help

Hello. I plan to wrap my car in matte white vinyl but I dont what vinyl to buy.  I have looked at some web sights that specilize in vinyl decals but they want 500 or more for a 58" x 20' sheet, but I looked some vinyl supply place and they wanted only 750 for 58" x 50 yards.  What would be they diffence.  Also I also read some where else that is better to do a layer of semi gloss white and then an other layer of matte finish. Honestly i dont a single thing about vinyl.  I just know I want my matte white. 

What type to I of vinyl do i need?

where can I get it?

how hard is it to apply?

how long will it last?

will it stain?

Hello. I plan to wrap my car in matte white vinyl but I dont what vinyl to buy.  I have looked at some web sights that specilize in vinyl decals but they want 500 or more for a 58" x 20' sheet, but I looked some vinyl supply place and they wanted only 750 for 58" x 50 yards.  What would be they diffence.  Also I also read some where else that is better to do a layer of semi gloss white and then an other layer of matte finish. Honestly i dont a single thing about vinyl.  I just know I want my matte white. 

What type to I of vinyl do i need?    Wrap Vinyl designed for large areas that has air release channels in it.

where can I get it?  Fellers or any reputable vinyl supplier that sells Oracal , Avery, etc products.

how hard is it to apply? If you have to ask you aren't gonna be able to do it.. Not something thay anyone can do right the first time.

how long will it last? Poorly applied a few months, right a few years...

will it stain? most likely..

Go to youtube and check out the wrap application videos several suppliers have put there..  I would recommend starting off with something a little smaller first than a car. Maybe a toy car or a riding mower hood, or a helmet.  Good luck! ( Don't want to come off as a jerk , but seriously, you are starting off with something that is really difficult.

You want vinyl made for wrapping. Oracal 3m and hexis make great wrapping vinyls. And oracal and hexis have a matte white if I remember correctly.  3m you would have to use a matte lam

hexis and oracal has matte wrap vinyls. Make sure you get something that's matte and requires no laminate. If you get white wrap vinyl that's gloss, you will have to laminate it with a cast matte lam. To much of a pain if you ask me.

ok well i bought some Oracal from Uscutter.com.  I have so more questions tho. 

The car should have no wax or anything else on it right? just a simple wash using dishsoap?

then spray donw with acohl and wipe with paper towel right?

Then apply vinyl.

O and I have sunroof but the roof will be matte black. could I get some matte lamintant to put over the glass to keep it clear but not shine/be glossy as much? 

oh boy if this is your first time then good luck. did you get oracal 970ra?  but give the car a really good wash and scrub to make sure you get off any dirt and grime. because it will show through as bumps with the vinyl.

also if you want the cleanest look possible then i recommend removing whatever body parts you can. get a heat gun if you dont have one already

Wow, yeah this is going to be a sight to see.

If you don't know how to prep a car for application, why even attempt this? I know learning is a process but geez.

Did you get wrap vinyl and not just any matte vinyl? I hope you bought the correct material because normal matte material is not going to go over crazy curves at all.

here is my car i wrapped in 3m ij180 that i got for free. was the first time doing a wrap and boy did i learn a lot. pics may look nice but trust me there are lots of small areas here and there that didnt come out perfect. im glad i got the material for free as i would hate to pay that much to learn.

prep is extremely huge, definately down low on the car where you have tar buildup and other gunk, gotta scrub the hell outta the car to make sure you have it dirt and debri free

DSC_0124-1.jpg

Looks pretty good, I've checked out alot of wraps from shops around here up close and have seen some imperfections as well. I'm sure glad i don't do wraps though, Just seems like a pain in the butt.