Sign in to follow this  
Hoppy

New cutter not closing

I may be jumping the gun, but, I received my new plotter a GC-721 goldcut. I got it before my vinyl order showed up so I installed the plotter pen and started my trial and error. I first ran the test function before connecting to my computer. drew the star w/ a box around it... didn't close the box.. now I am connected to SB trial and have done some simple text, and again doesn't close 1/2 the characters or more. I run the SB test sample, again its not closing everything.. Where do I look to correct this? or should I wait until I try to cut vinyl? if it doesn't plot continuous I dint see how it will cut differant..

Settings on my machine are: cut speed 165mms cut press 130g up-speed 120mms and baud 9600, Any help would be great, I will be VERY disappointed if I have to re-cut all my work by hand everytime.

Thanks

I can't help with your problem but I do know that changing to the blade and vinyl will not change anything

Good Luck

MM64  :huh:

I may be jumping the gun, but, I received my new plotter a GC-721 goldcut. I got it before my vinyl order showed up so I installed the plotter pen and started my trial and error. I first ran the test function before connecting to my computer. drew the star w/ a box around it... didn't close the box.. now I am connected to SB trial and have done some simple text, and again doesn't close 1/2 the characters or more. I run the SB test sample, again its not closing everything.. Where do I look to correct this? or should I wait until I try to cut vinyl? if it doesn't plot continuous I dint see how it will cut differant..

Settings on my machine are: cut speed 165mms cut press 130g up-speed 120mms and baud 9600, Any help would be great, I will be VERY disappointed if I have to re-cut all my work by hand everytime.

Thanks

what driver did you use for your setup?  JUst curious

you may find your solution here.  download on first page,

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,17489.0.html

I followed that link for the set up of my cutter. I did have trouble setting up the drivers. the disc that came with the machine errored everytime, and I couldn't find any drivers for the GC-721 so I ran the MH-721 drivers.  But as I stated it did this before the computer was ever connected with the self test in the machine.. When I plot it looks good just leaves a few mm open, and there is a dot on either side of were its open, indicating it is the machine stopping or starting the pen in these locations.. what would make it do this and is it correctable...

Thanks for all the input, it is all priceless to me seeing I don't have a clue where to begin to look.

those cutters are too new for us on the forum to troubleshoot. Nobody has one.   Is there two holes for the blade holder? Possibly one in front one in back?   If so, pen goes in front.  For pen offset is 0  for cutting you start at 0.25MM  and adjust your machine

there is one hole for the holder, the offset setting, is that on the machine somewhere as well as in the software, or only in the software? I was afraid there would be limited input on this machine, being new.

Thanks again

I was told 2 weeks ago that the Goldcut uses different drivers than the MH series,and that they would soon be available for download on the US Cutter website.

I will check into this.

In the meantime, have you checked to make sure that the carriage is on the tracks. If it is like the MH series, the carriage was bad to pop off the tracks in shipment.

there is one hole for the holder, the offset setting, is that on the machine somewhere as well as in the software, or only in the software? I was afraid there would be limited input on this machine, being new.

Thanks again

go thru the menu on your cutter, put most of the Chinese cutters don't have offset on cutter,  Just the software.

just went thru the cutter and the guide that came with it. its not there, so I did a few more test runs changing it in the software.. no change.. what is up-speed? that's the only setting I don't see addressed in the guide, or write up? would this cause it? Might be time to contact tech.

Hello Hoppy, sorry you are having problems here. The blade offset is the setting that will fix the cuts not closing issue. The find the setting in SignBlazer click Cutter, then Setup, you will see the blade offset setting on this page. You will want to set that to .25 and move up/down by .05 until you get a perfect cut. Make sure you are sending the cuts from SignBlazer and not simply running a test cut. The test cuts will not be affected by this software change. If you are successfully outputting to your cutter then you have your USB driver setup properly. If this is not the case then please call us at 888-298-8143 for setup assistance.

The blade offset is the setting that will fix the cuts not closing issue.

If it's not closing contours on a machine test with a pen, there is something else going on.  I wouldn't even be messing with software until it passes a self test with a pen.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark but on the more expensive Graphtecs,etc..don't you have to 'calibrate' the cutter before you use it? If this is the case,maybe the cheaper cutters that don't have this feature use the software to compensate?

My guess would be carriage off track or possibly a loose of broken pen/knife holder.  Some mechanical play in the system would cause it to do what it's doing.  I still say that it's pointless  to be messing with software if it won't even draw the test square.  If it's consistently leaving contours open by the same amount every time, then it is probably something in the firmware.  If it's an erratic problem, it is most likely a mechanical issue.

I don't think these cutters have a calibration feature.

My guess would be carriage off track or possibly a loose of broken pen/knife holder.  Some mechanical play in the system would cause it to do what it's doing.  I still say that it's pointless  to be messing with software if it won't even draw the test square.  If it's consistently leaving contours open by the same amount every time, then it is probably something in the firmware.  If it's an erratic problem, it is most likely a mechanical issue.

I don't think these cutters have a calibration feature.

If this is the case,maybe the cheaper cutters that don't have this feature use the software to compensate?

I already suggested that he/she check the carriage with no response.

Carriage is on track and secure I have played with the offset and it hasn't gotten better, after playing until the wee hours of last night I seem to come to the conclusion that it is really only straight lines in a few graphics, but more so in text for some reason.  It is aways on a straight that it doesn't close. for instance the SB cut test 41 out of the 138 letters didn't close..alot of u,t,i,l,e & y didn't close.. always on a straight section.. The e's don't close the bottom of the center. Also the guide that came with the cutter said nothing about calibration.

thanks for all the help and I am checking every suggestion as well as searching for similar problems on the forum. Still waiting on vinyl.. should be any time now and I can REALLY CUT some thing!!

Unrelated, I did buy a Hix 15x15 swingman press today... cant wait for my heat vinyl...  :thumbsup:

I just got my GC-721,

Do you know if the GC-721 drivers are available yet, or are you still using the MH-721 driver??