Sign in to follow this  
xpfguy

** updated, follow up ** need tips for applying reflective to auto

I am planning to apply some fairly large stripping to a vehicle. Most of the reflective material says do not wet apply.

The stripping will be a vertical stripe that crossed over paint, window, moulding, ect.

How would you apply this dry?

I wouldn't apply it to window molding, rubber trim or any highly curved surface... It is designed for fairly flat installation, especially if it is the high dollar reflective that has a lot of tiny hexagons in it.

I have applied engineer grade wet, again on something flat, with no ill effects.  One thing about either reflective, do not force it to bend back on itself or go around any sharp corner, you will find it discolors when bent severely..  For instance, the app method shown for the big squeegie on Youtube would be a bad idea...

About half of the signs I make are on a yellow reflective background, and I am still learning how to do it absolutely perfect and bubble free. It is a challenge. Just when you think you have got it down something else goes wrong and ya learn a new mistake not to make..lol.

thanks, I was planning on Orange Oracal 5600 reflective.

So using a little rapid tac app fluid should be ok?

I'll answer that with a definite maybe.. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Dry is preferred.......and wet is risky. But sometimes you do what ya gotta do.

i apply reflective with rapid tac 1 and ZERO issues and the jobs going on 3 years. I see it every month when i go to the place of business for other jobs. Used Avery brand too.

thanks all, I will be ordering the supplies for this tomorrow.

I will follow up with results.

Well, here is the follow up as promised.

I opted for the dry install.

post-7442-12986556368621_thumb.jpg

post-7442-12986556396608_thumb.jpg

I have Installed a bunch of Reflective never had a problem( I make my own  4 drops of wisk, and a capful of 70% rubbing Alcohol. and a qt of H2O)

thanks for the info. i will try that next time.

can you mix up a match and keep it for an extended period of time?

Jason

Sorry to sound odd but did you install 2 stripes over top of each other for the X?

Sorry to sound odd but did you install 2 stripes over top of each other for the X?

No, the small stripe is solid top to bottom and the fat stripe is cut flush with the small stripe.

Good job Jason . I hinge stuff like that & also when it is much taller or wider than the other way , I fold & tape those smaller parts back . Sometimes I hinge in the middle . I suggest usng at least a little bit of water even if just wiping it down with a wet rag . I have found narrow stuff like lettering does not create the air bubble problem that large coverings do .

Re: ** updated, follow up ** need tips for applying reflective to auto