Sign in to follow this  
orbitgrfx

To add or not to add phone number.....

Hello to everyone out there in the forum!

I'm reading a lot of posts about business cards, and would like to get a consensus on whether or not to include a phone number on the card.

I wanted something that would 'jump out' at you and drive traffic to my (upcoming) website, thereby, allowing the site to do the selling and answer the questions. I know from the little experience I have with vinyl work, is that the last thing I want to hear when doing detailed layout, is the phone ringing.

Besides my website, Facebook and Myspace will also  be utilized for the drive to 'earn' an income and get the brand out in view.  

I do have another card in the works with my contact number and email that will be handed out as well. The idea of two or more well designed cards is needed to 'separate' yourself and show your workmanship in a positive light.  

Any opinions?

post-7709-12986556213206_thumb.jpg

post-7709-12986556213541_thumb.jpg

post-7709-12986556223642_thumb.jpg

post-7709-12986556223787_thumb.jpg

I have 3 thoughts on this.  1 is make a 2 sided card.  One with artwork, the other with contact info.

Second thought:  No phone number - how are customers going to hire you?

Third thought:  If you need silence to concentrat on a job - take the phone off the hook for the moment.

Phone number most definitely.  Some people prefer emailing your contact info, but I found the ones that really want it done call me. 

Buy a magic jack, $19 bucks a year, plug it into your computer and setup voice mail. To disable the MJ the easiest way is to unplug

the mj and it will go straight to vm.

MJ VM will then email you.  Then just plug it back in and your ready for calls, a lot easier than disabling the mj software and letting it

unload.  MJ is not the perfect solution, but for $19 bucks a year, it gives you a local phone number to put on your advertising stuff.

Hope this helps...

Pappy

Not everyone is 'connected' yet, and as others have mentioned this depends on your area too. I would add a number if you can, but get a number dedicated to your business. I chose not to add a number, but I don't think I've ever met a potential customer without email. Even a father at a Catholic school who I designed a logo for did everything by email, but I live in SoCal. I think in more rural areas, you're better off adding the number (not to say some people aren't tech-minded, just that I think you'll find more people who prefer to talk to a person).

of course put a phone number. i have a droid so i have the google voice app on it which you get a free phone number through, i use that one as a business number. you can also go on the site in your account and set it to direct the calls directly to voicemail or set up times for it to do that. also with the google voice voicemail it translates your voicemails into text and you can see them as a text message.

also on your business car i would change the font color, it seems to clash with the greenish background

Not everyone is 'connected' yet, and as others have mentioned this depends on your area too. I think in more rural areas, you're better off adding the number (not to say some people aren't tech-minded, just that I think you'll find more people who prefer to talk to a person).

On this, Nukleon, you have a point. I've considered the tech side of the argument, and with so many blackberries and iPhones out there, as well as the general laptop and web traffic, I thought it'd be okay to omit a number. Email and other info...myspace, facebook....will be in on the back side (yet to be completed). I'm still working on the draft to be determined.

also on your business car i would change the font color, it seems to clash with the greenish background

The print I made of the card in CMYK looks great with the atomic 50's theme and colors. However, I agree with you that it doesn't look good the way it shows up on the web. As soon as I looked at the post, it was clear to go back and re-work the colors just a bit to give more vibrancy and contrast.

I too have magicJack phone for my graphics stuff.  I have it forwarded to my cell phone 100% of the time.  It is a super cheap way to get a seperate number.  I also use it to make outgoing calls from my desk.  No complaints from me :)

:huh: ???

Thanks to all for the info on MajicJack.....I'll definitely check into it. Since I may be moving to Maine or Alaska, this MajicJack may come in handy. Before I visit their website, do they offer a toll-free number?

It's a very long story, but I  never thought I'd see Biloxi again....at least not to live here. I left many years ago and settled into a career that took me over the country and Caribbean, and now, after 'being sent' back and after a year and a half, I know my time here, is coming to a close. And the BP oil gusher which pretty much wreaked havoc and long-term damage to the coast is playing a factor in relocation.

This may be more suited for the off-topic section, but I have to ask since I'm on the subject. Do any of you believe in extra-dimensional 'forces' that guide one through life? It's a serious question. 

Use a number (another thought if you have a GSM telephone order a phone with a place for two sim cards one can be for business the other personal. My extra lines only cost 9.99 per line with ATandT and share the minute plan)

After a little thought....it didn't take much....I went back and re-worked the card with all things considered. The murky color was due to low-rez, however, I went through the (almost) entire spectrum of possibilities before finding charcoal, and.......'pow'! It all come alive.

As for the rear of the card, it was already determined to be of the same background, with email, facebook ect, as well as the bullet points. Yeah, the number works well. Thanks to all for the advice and guidance.

Posted are .jpg's to veiw and critique. I I'm planning on sending these to GotPrint in the morn.

post-7709-12986556218063_thumb.jpg

post-7709-12986556218703_thumb.jpg

post-7709-12986556225775_thumb.jpg

post-7709-12986556225992_thumb.jpg

The back def beds some layout changes it seems to be all over the place and not neatly organized. You did set this up with a safe margin as well right?

Yeah, all bleed margins are correct and is now at GotPrint for production of 2,500 cards. As far as the back of the card is concerned, the symmetry is what makes it appealing; with the words off-set, it is more reminiscent of the randomness of the mid 50's atomic theme. And that, was my desire. 

At least to my way of thinking and doing, the old style of stacking and even-spaced words layed out in a neat little box is rather.....ummm.....boring. As far as the 'all over the place' comment, the elements of design do not require equal spacing of words to the border, or margin, if you will. A small icon or graphic is a great way to 'balance' the work.

I think there are too many different fonts.  I try not to use more than 2 different fonts in one design.  I agree with Jeremy.  Symmetry is important.  It's all about making it easy to read.  If it's not easy to read, people won't read it.  Fancy backgrounds and curly fonts all make a design harder to read.  If it's a logo or text used as artwork that's different, but as far as readability, nothing beats arial or helvetica on a neutral background in a contrasting color.  Also, don't be afraid of white space.  You don't have to fill the entire canvas.

My rule of thumb with business cards is this... (1) Have a well designed and simple logo that identifies your business.  Look at the most successful businesses in the world and look how simple and recognizable their logos are.  (2) Unless the business name IS the logo, text including the name should be a very readable font.  I want someone to be able to glance at my card while driving and be able to read it.

:huh::thumbsup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I think there are too many different fonts.  I try not to use more than 2 different fonts in one design.  I agree with Jeremy.  Symmetry is important.  It's all about making it easy to read.  If it's not easy to read, people won't read it.  Fancy backgrounds and curly fonts all make a design harder to read.  If it's a logo or text used as artwork that's different, but as far as readability, nothing beats arial or helvetica on a neutral background in a contrasting color.  Also, don't be afraid of white space.  You don't have to fill the entire canvas.

My rule of thumb with business cards is this... (1) Have a well designed and simple logo that identifies your business.  Look at the most successful businesses in the world and look how simple and recognizable their logos are.  (2) Unless the business name IS the logo, text including the name should be a very readable font.  I want someone to be able to glance at my card while driving and be able to read it.

I've often heard it said to use no more than two fonts per card, and generally, I agree with the premise. There are only two fonts in the design...per side, and the scipt font on the rear is the same as the description at the bottom of the front side. 'The' is also the same.

The 50's boxed lettering was added at the end as a way to associate with the intended theme.  :)

When the website is finished and goes live, you'll see that graphics is what I do and will have much more than signs and banners...yawn. Web animations, site design, as well as the RTA decals....no devils, calvin, skulls, ect, anyone can do that.

Mostly mid-century modern inspired. Think American Graffiti meets The Jetsons. 

This may be more suited for the off-topic section, but I have to ask since I'm on the subject. Do any of you believe in extra-dimensional 'forces' that guide one through life? It's a serious question. 

Yeah, better for off-topic. Personally, I understand that people and events affect your life, for sure. As for 'extra-dimenstional forces', I don't believe in anything like that, but I am an atheist so that kind of comes with the territory. Even if you do believe in extra-dimensional forces though, it's best to operate in the real world so you can be most effective in controlling your destiny (at least with stuff you can control). I'd be happy to chat with you offline about this if you're so inclined.