Sign in to follow this  
stokedgraphics

Any electronic whizzes out there? Question on static dissipation

I've had tremendous difficulty solving the static issue with my machine.  I've ordered the memory upgrade and ensured a proper ground from the cutter to the stand.  No help.  Running an MH-871 with AI and SignCut on a PC with Windows XP.

Here's my question in long form:

In my experience over the years doing drafting and blueprinting there was always a problem with static building up on the medium (paper, vellum, etc.).  When changing toner cartridges in a laser printer, I noticed a copper "brush" along the back of the machine.  I'm pretty sure that is used to dissipate the static on the paper as it passes through the pinch rollers.  Does this application require any active control, or is it a passive element that just goes to ground?

After unsuccessfully trying to find a compatible part to achieve this, I'm thinking I may have to develop the same type of part on my own.  I've had to manufacture a lot of the tools and machines I use for other types of printing, so I'm well versed in fabrication but don't want to proceed unless my theory is well placed.  Here's where I'm beginning...

I'm thinking of taking a length of stranded copper wire (small gauge speaker wire) cutting it into short segments to form bristles.  Those bristles will be wrapped individually around a larger gauge, solid core wire (12 gauge) and once wrapped (about 10 strands per inch) and hot glued(to form a brush along the wire), attached to a stand off which, in turn, is attached to the cutter stand and finally grounded to the stand and thus grounded to the cutter.  My understanding of static dissipation is that the brush does not need to be in direct contact with the vinyl, but only in close proximity (about 1/8 in.).  The main idea is to pass the vinyl over the brush while loading it into the cutter.  If placed correctly, even when the vinyl is back-fed by the machine, it will still be in close enough proximity to discharge static as it builds up during cutting.  Sound like a good start?  Need some feedback if possible.  I'm starting the project this weekend.

Actually static electricity can build up on many surfaces, including fabrics such as silk, wool, cotton, plastic, etc... Copper is a good conductor, but to remove static the real fix is surface area, for example placing a silk (+) or wool (-) scarf in contact with the vinyl such as around the rollers and attaching a wire or jumper to the metal part of the machine will dissipate most static from the vinyl. It's counter intuitive because most people including some technicians think in terms of current flow (like in a circuit) but static is the buildup of Positive & negative ions (think lightning). My system really works and the vinyl won't get scratched from the copper wiring.