Sign in to follow this  
mattie77

Long Cuts

When I cut anything longer than 30in, It will stop cutting halfway through or will only cut 2 or 3 letters then stop. What can I do to fix this problem?

I'm working with a MH871 using Inkscape and Signcut.

Thanks Guys. I have tired the Keyspan adapter and it didn't help.

Get an old XP box with a serial port and dedicate it to the cutter.  I cut 10 feet long routinely on an 871 with an old 1.6Ghz machine running XP that I paid $40 for.  On long cuts I turn off weed lines and borders. 

Thanks Guys. I have tired the Keyspan adapter and it didn't help.

Get an old XP box with a serial port and dedicate it to the cutter.  I cut 10 feet long routinely on an 871 with an old 1.6Ghz machine running XP that I paid $40 for.  On long cuts I turn off weed lines and borders. 

+1 the dedicated xp box is the way to go.  design on your main computer and take it to the cutter on a usb drive!

I just went through a lot of vinyl today trying to get to the bottom of this. I have an 871. I took the left end cap off and improved the ground situation under the cap.  I was still having issues with my plotter stopping mid cut. The status bar of the cut tile window during cutting was freezing.  I checked the usb port settings while the plotter was on and plugged into my laptop. I checked the flow control setting it did not match the setting in signblazer. I changed it to hardware and matched the baud rates and I have cut larger pieces of 60" continuously since making these changes. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

i didnt read through all of hte replies, but idk how signcut works, but in sb, if the design is out side of the selected area, it wont be cut. make sure your workspace is at least as large as your design first.

Nevermind my post still having issues with this piece.

Are you still using USB on a laptop?

There are many different things that can affect this. Static is the number one cause of freezing on this machine. I highly recommend grounding your stand to your cutter. Attach the ground wire to a screw on one of the material brackets and attach the other end on the right side of the bottom panel of the cutter. You will also want to adjust your USB options so Flow Control matches (should be on Hardware in software and in Windows USB settings). You should also make sure your weeding border is turned off, especially through SignBlazer. If you continue to have problems then please call us at 888-298-8143.

I have to say after 3 years of this Im getting a little tired of it, nothing acceptable fixes it, not wiring the cutter to the stand and to the radiator, nothing. My only way if you wanna fix it?? take is of the stand, set it on the floor and cut till your hearts content. I wish there was a better answer. I just had it stop again and wasted 3feet of vinyl. The issue seems to arise when there is a connection to earth, the stand is wavering ground, when you take it off the stand and sitting on the rubber feet your cutter is then isolated from ground. Unfortunately my cutter is a 1351 and a PIA to move around my house because its to huge. I can hear the USB disconnect and reconnect. if it was straight up serial would it still do that?

Sorry im frustrated, I love my cutter, but this is nuts.

Wayne

There are many different things that can affect this. Static is the number one cause of freezing on this machine. I highly recommend grounding your stand to your cutter. Attach the ground wire to a screw on one of the material brackets and attach the other end on the right side of the bottom panel of the cutter. You will also want to adjust your USB options so Flow Control matches (should be on Hardware in software and in Windows USB settings). You should also make sure your weeding border is turned off, especially through SignBlazer. If you continue to have problems then please call us at 888-298-8143.

So will the static problem be fixed by just using a real serial port?

Wayne

Your problems are with the USB port.  It has never worked properly on these cutters.  Get an old XP box with a serial port and dedicate it to cutter. 

Could someone spell out the details of setting up this dedicated xp? are you running SB on the XP and connecting to the plotter via serial? I may try this...

Yeah I just ran a serial cable from my Xp machine to the plotter. In SB I set up the plotter in the cut menu. Lucky for me my serial port was on COM 1 and it started cutting. just go through every com port in the setup menu until you get communication.