Sign in to follow this  
bsworks75

IDiOt Noob has no idea what to charge or HOW to do this next project! HELP

Hi all, please don't throw stones at me because  I'm new and asking simple questions ;D  I have a 59' x 9.5' project. It's just a business phone number in a large font so weeding shouldn't be too hard. The kicker is the client wants the number one color and then for it to have an OUTLINE of another color. I'm a graphic designer so that's no problem putting an outline on the number but what's the best way to do it? Plot out two copies of the number in the two colors or plot out one full copy of number and just the outline.. does that make sense? And then once I get to that point what is the easiest way to stack them? This will be helpful info for any future jobs that require stacking so feel free to elaborate as much as you want (can! haha) And lastly, what should I charge for the project? It is quite large, plus all this stacking jazz? Thanks future answers I appreciate all you do!

That size sounds like a projector and paint job. 60 by 10 Feet applied to ;D??  And it should be pretty darn pricey. Go find a good Walldog (old timey outside sign painter) and let him do it and price it in exchange for a little on the job training for ya. Way too many variables to tell you how to do it or price it.

I'm going to do this. Whats the point of having a vinyl cutter without doing a large sign? I was thinking like 40-45 dollars. I'm just not sure what the best way to stack the two cut pieces together to produce an image with an outline? Any help?

I'm going to do this. Whats the point of having a vinyl cutter without doing a large sign? I was thinking like 40-45 dollars. I'm just not sure what the best way to stack the two cut pieces together to produce an image with an outline? Any help?

Did you mean 59.5 x 9.5 INCHES?  If your talking feet, not inches, you'll have 4 - 5 rolls per color at about $85 per roll for Oracal 651.  I think you're a little light at $45.  That's what we charge to do a truck tailgate.  I agree with truckntran.  I wouldn't touch something that big with vinyl.  It is doable, but not the best way.  projector is the way to go. 

If you do it in vinyl, you'll need a high end cutter.  Don't even consider using the MH or any other Chinese cutter.  Something that long may even require a pin fed machine.

Agree with last poster. Are you sure you mean feet and not inches? Inches - doable. Feet - I wouldn't touch that at all. It'll take at least 3 50yd roll for one color assuming no mistakes. 

If you mean inches....

I just cut the original and outline, put down the outline,and lay down the original over the top of it. If you try to cut the JUST the outline, it's harder but most of all, if you have any shrinkage later, it will leave a gap.

If you mean inches....

I just cut the original and outline, put down the outline,and lay down the original over the top of it. If you try to cut the JUST the outline, it's harder but most of all, if you have any shrinkage later, it will leave a gap.

and if your setup is like mine, the outline that SBE makes will not exactly match the letters either, and there will be some ugly gaps. Overlap is the only way I can do outlines. (Yes, even with a graphtec.)

I have a 59' x 9.5' project.

I'm going to do this. Whats the point of having a vinyl cutter without doing a large sign? I was thinking like 40-45 dollars.

560 square feet of material just for the sign. You are going to need some way to put it up straight.

We would be at $3500, maybe more. Add 2 zeros to your price before the dot.  :D

Did you mean 59.5 x 9.5 INCHES?  If your talking feet, not inches, you'll have 4 - 5 rolls per color at about $85 per roll for Oracal 651.  I think you're a little light at $45.  That's what we charge to do a truck tailgate.  I agree with truckntran.  I wouldn't touch something that big with vinyl.  It is doable, but not the best way.  projector is the way to go.  

If you do it in vinyl, you'll need a high end cutter.  Don't even consider using the MH or any other Chinese cutter.  Something that long may even require a pin fed machine.

59.5 ft could be done with a single 50 yd roll of vinyl, not sure where you get needing 4-5 rolls for each color. and if you are paying $85 for your oracal 651 you may want to buy it somewhere else

this OP corrected the size on another post to INCHES  "

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,30040.msg235389.html#msg235389

From OP's other post

"Sorry ya'lls busy weekend I also run a print shop... anyway sorry I suck, it was early and I was angered at thinking of this project; It IS inches! I will insert image of what I'm trying to accomplish..... I am EXTREMELY new as in I've done one project for one person and it was simple... so I don't know any of those technical terms.. hinge... haha Sorry help is appreciated  And I am a female"  

Speedy is quoting the OP :D