john!

Jury Duty, Anyway around it?

My company makes up the difference between what jury duty pays and my regular salary. More larger companies are starting to do the same.

LOL, That's very true. I guess they think like we do, if your out of work you'll starve or loose a ton of money doing so. They probably feel sorry for the guy's like we do. At least they think a little about the little guy ;)

Should send the judge home to write an essay on why they don't pay more for working people to sit for hours, day,months, years on end lol

It really is a shame not to at least give them a little more than they do, you know the inmates are making just a little less than they do eheehhhehe

Cheap labor..... Gotta love it weeeeeeeeeeeee

But what about when someone is wrongly accused? do you want to be judged by a jury of your peers or by a professional jury. I would hate to see what a jury would look like if it was not a random selections of citizens. With Michigan releasing the thousands of extra prisoners my jury might be looking for revenge!

I have seen people I believe were wrongly accused and found not guilty by people who cared - they wasn't judged by someone that does not have the time to be bothered because it wasn't them or their family. it is funny how important the process becomes when it is closer to home!

I completely agree with the process, it's the money thing I do not agree with. I for one would not want to stand infront of a non caring jury...... the point I was making was the "pay" these people receive when they have to go to jury duty. Like I said, I don't agree with them having to go and starving their wife, kids etc. I've had to go several times, I have 4 cousins here that are judges and blamed them for drafting me (Joking with them of course). But even they agreed with me on making someone go to court that "cannot" afford to go. I think it's completely wrong, and in some cases worse then what the criminals did. My only point here is lets pay these people more to go sit in on the jury. The lawyers and judges etc. are making alot of money doing this, and comon the least thing they could do is give them a decent pay for going to court for their time and gas. But, if you don't need the money, waive your right to it if that's what you wish to do. I'm just saying let's have a little sympathy for the poor people that are struggling enough in this economy is all.

I'm done with politics, I just threw my 2 cents in when the guy said he couldn't do it because he couldn't afford to ;D

But what about when someone is wrongly accused? do you want to be judged by a jury of your peers or by a professional jury. I would hate to see what a jury would look like if it was not a random selections of citizens. With Michigan releasing the thousands of extra prisoners my jury might be looking for revenge!

I have seen people I believe were wrongly accused and found not guilty by people who cared - they wasn't judged by someone that does not have the time to be bothered because it wasn't them or their family. it is funny how important the process becomes when it is closer to home!

You can always get off of a jury based on hardship (Can't affort to lose the pay, don't have daycare) Our vanpool driver was excused because 8 other people on our van rely on him to drive us. Our other driver was on vacation so no one else could do it..

Tell them you feel they are guilty even before the trial starts. Tell them you have prejudices in thinking that everybody at trial is guilty. They don't like that.

Anyone know a way to get out of Jury Duty beings we're in the business of needing to be by computers and phones at all times?

I just got called in and don't want to put my business on hold for a entire week 9-4  :huh:

I recommend serving on the jury if you're a reasonable person. America's jury system needs quality jurors, if you can spare the time. If not, just claim financial hardship and the judge will generally let you out.

I was in jury selection last summer and got selected as juror number 2, but the defendant plead to new charges or something coz they had to select a whole new jury (we were tainted by hearing all the original charges).

I know jury duty is a pain, but it's your chance to participate and once you serve you can't serve again for a certain amount of time anyway. But of course, if it's true financial hardship you can get out of it.

I agree NUK, "IF" they can afford it.

Yeah if my business were to seriously suffer for jury duty I would try to get out of it too. Otherwise, I think it's an interesting process and America needs its reasonable jurors. ;)

so if I read this correctly all jury's would be the rich people deciding your fate as the others couldn't afford itdry.gif

$3.78 a gallon of gasoline here. How much do they pay you a day = Ignorance

I live in a small town, jerk one of the guy's from around here from the wife and kids, you would see some real poverty going on at their house dry.gif

$3.78 a gallon of gasoline here. How much do they pay you a day = Ignorance

I live in a small town, jerk one of the guy's from around here from the wife and kids, you would see some real poverty going on at their house dry.gif

and on that note, I'm staying put .... $3.39/gal :D

Actually luckier than most I guess, I live like 2 miles from the shop, and may have to fill up once every month or so :thumbsup: