Sign in to follow this  
orbitgrfx

Help w/pricing 2-color decals for High School

My question is "what would you charge for this two-color decal, for 25 of them, with more to come. "The teacher who gave me the order is a decent acquaintance of mine who I ride with occasionally (motorcycles). I'll also have to order the proper colors for the job (I'm thinking 651 or Shine Brite).

My rough guess would be $7.50 per decal for 6", additional buck or two for 8".

Do you think it's too low or about right. I just concidered the vinyl prices without shop time or weeding, layout.

Your imput is greatly appreciated.

-Chase

post-7709-12986555824214_thumb.jpg

W_Harrison_Logo_Final.eps

post-7709-12986555838019_thumb.jpg

W_Harrison_Logo_Final.eps

The figure I came up with considered .10 sq in in vinyl usage. The two colors would use the same amount of vinyl....minimal reduction in the green.

At .10 x 6" by 6" x 2 colors comes to $7.20. I rounded up to allow for shop, layout, weed. Isn't this the preferred way of pricing RTA's?

After all, I'm a relative noob in the commercial part of the biz. I usually have been cutting for friends as a hobby. I do, however, need to get up to speed on the commercial aspect of cutting since I'm developing a biz model to launch by labor day.

Feedback, please.

-Chase

Thanks greenie,

I know it's only a reference tool, but does this calculate expenses, or suggested retail?

I entered 8x8" 25 each w/ one additional color and it came back @ 4.73 each. That calculates to less than 2.5 cents per inch. :thumbsup:

Being that they are two-color decals and with the logo as it is, I believe that two separate logos will need to be cut...1 green, 1 orange, and layered. As opposed to cutting a separate orange 'shaddow' to lay down, which would still use the same amount of vinyl cut from the roll.

BTW, the people down here in the Gulf South are cheap, cheap, cheap.....except when THEY are the ones doing the pricing. Then, hold on to your wallet! A High School should have a stronger budget that most 

I'd be at $10 each for the 6" two color and $12.50 each for the 8".  The extra time/work to register each cut and overlay the two colors needs to be factored in.  Your time is worth something and don't sell youself short.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply. Your calculations are much more in tune to what I was thinking. I know the cost from a local "shop" would be much greater, since it would be priced for max profit. While I'd like the account, I'm careful not to overprice, nor under-quote, in order to gain the exposure.

How many do you expect in the future?  You can have 1000 printed in full color for around $200 give or take.  At say...$2.00 each, you'd have your investment back after 100.  Everything after that is clear profit.  You would net $1800 if you move all 1000 of them.  It involves a little speculation, I've done this many times on decal orders.  Give them a price and try to cover your investment with their initial order.  At $2.00 you would want to try and get an initial order of 100 pieces.  If you can't get them to do that, that's where the speculation comes in.

The downside is that the decals will be printed and will have to be contour cut if you want the same effect as laid up vinyl.  Everyone I've sold these to was able to easily get past the fact that the logo was basically printed on a square or rectangle substrate when they saw the price difference. 

I do RTA cut vinyl for .07 per color so I'd be at $5.04 each for a 6"x6" with a $20 minimum order...and I ship the two colors separately.  I don't lay it up on the bench.