WrestlingWear

2 ceramic tiles with vinyl

very nice.  I have done some tile with a simple intial on them. Did you put any kind of clear over them?  Also my tiles I bought from the harware store where fine but on one edge it was smoothed or rounded off.  I didn't really like the look of that not matching the other sides.  Where yours like that?

thanks

Kim

I have not put any clear over these.

Thinking about it, but most are simple displays that stand up on counters or displayed where nothing would bother them.

These tiles I purchased an entire box from lowes and I think it wasnt much more then 12 or 15 bucks?

Edges look good on these, smooth and clean. I did however buy black felt and glued to the back of these then once dried trimmed down to fit perfect to edge of tile.

Adding small sticker to the back with my name and number for re-orders!

Hope to do pretty good with these.

Here are some that I have done.  Just made them trying them out.  Gave them to the girls at work for coasters.  I originally bought some MOD PODGE and put on top of them but didn't hold you to water and glasses sweating.  Then I sprayed them with spray can clear coating.  Worked pretty good.  I glued a piece of black foam to the backs of mine then cut to size.  How much do you think you will charge for something like this?

thanks

Kim

post-6207-12986555763735_thumb.jpg

post-6207-12986555780878_thumb.jpg

Kim, love the font you used in the coasters, can you tell me which font that is?

I too always struggle with how to price things.  I've be charging $40 for the tile items, but I include a stand with mine.  If a customer wants a design from scratch rather than just a simple pre-made saying or a Monogram I usually charge 50-55.  I try and go with a little heavier tile than just ceramic.  I'll pick up a granite or marble tile in the odds and ends section for 5-7 bucks.  The real stone tiles are very elegant and can even be used outdoors for a memorial for pets etc. 

As for the coasters are you wanting to sell them as singles, or in 4 or 6 packs?

Here's an alternative to the tile idea for you.  I like to use the "floating" frames.  They have two pieces of glass, makes it much easier for cleaning and dusting.

post-6158-12986555766341_thumb.jpg

post-6158-12986555782575_thumb.jpg

Not sure on the font.  I'll look back at my fonts to see if I can find it again.  

I haven't solded any but I was thinking maybe for wedding gifts make them to match their decor or even if someone is wanting them for them self.  If I ever got an order I would like to at least sell them in a 4 pack or maybe even a 6 pack.

I was just trying some out and done the girls at work intials and gave them to them.  

Thanks

Kim

that is georgous.  I love that idea.  How much to you get for those? Do you get the floating frames from a craft store.  I haven't seen any of those.

thanks

Kim

Kim, I'm in canada.  I get these frames at our Walmart or we have a store called Zellers. I usually pick them up when they're on for 25% off at Zellers so I always get them for under $20.  Depending on the size of the frame and the amount of customization, I sell them for between $45 and $60. They make awesome wedding shower or baby shower gifts!

I do alot of shopping in the US and I've yet to see floating frames in a US Walmart, I think you're best bet may be Target or something like that.  If I can't find the size of floating frame I want or I want something with a fancier frame I'll just remove the matting etc, and then use caulking to hold the glass in place. Same effect. 

If you can find that font I'd be eternally greatful!  I'm always looking for elegant fonts to use in these kind of designs!  Thanks so much!

Wow! All are awesome! I have made a few but none as cool as those.

I have always wondered how to safely ship ceramic tiles.

Anybody selling them online & shipping them? How do you go about it?

Thanx!

Hi Carol

Have you made them to sit on an stand or for coasters?  What do you charge for yours? 

thanks

Kim

Nice work everyone!

I have a store front in town that has a shelf in front of the picture windows, I displayed a few large tiles I had done in the window, one I sprayed with a clear coat and the other two I didnt, well the one I sprayed did not do as well, all the vinyl peeled up, the other two are still brand new looking. I also have a mailbox with vinyl applied, no clear coat and its also looking fine. I guess being in the sun for a few hours everyday caused the vinyl to peel that had been sprayed with a clear coat.....So be warned! LOL!

Renee

You have to watch tile because some have the rounded edge which is used as the edge of a project. What you want is called field tile (so I am told at the tile store).

I also make coasters out of 4in tile and sell them as a set of four for $10.00. They are blasted and then painted with spray paint and then a coat of clear lacquer or poly for protection. works real good. I put each one in a sandwich baggie and the bunch in another and then wrap tape around the stack. They go out in a priority USPS box for $4.95.

post-4144-12986555874423_thumb.jpg

post-4144-12986555874892_thumb.jpg

post-4144-12986555875765_thumb.jpg

post-4144-12986555907248_thumb.jpg

post-4144-12986555907504_thumb.jpg

post-4144-12986555908222_thumb.jpg

Hi Carol

Have you made them to sit on an stand or for coasters?  What do you charge for yours? 

thanks

Kim

Hi Kim,

Mostly to sit on a stand. I get $25 for the 12" tile and $35 for the 16" tile. I do lots of coasters, too. Alphabet coasters are $20 / set of 4. Single initial coasters are $12/set of 4, and name layered over initial are $16 set of 4.

Carol

I traced an image for the family lettering.

The C is a font i purchased from www.myvinyldesigner.com great website everyone

Clear coating over cut vinyl is always going to be a problem. The vinyl expands and contracts in heat/cold at a different rate than the tile (even more so for calendered) Then you have the clear coat itself which expands at a different rate from either one.

However, what I have seen done (sorry, can't find any samples) is to use the reversed vinyl as a stencil for painting. Stained glass paints work well as they are meant for the slick surface of glass. Some are even designed to be baked on.