hello Again

Well I had to dick with it.

Cutter was working fine- changed the blade depth and have been haveing trouble ever since.

What seems to be happening is the cutting depth from left to right gets deeper now.If you do the test rectangle starting

from one side to the other it gets deeper- from not touching the vinyl to cutting through the paper. I have swapped the cutting strip end for end

and same thing. Is there a parts diagram for these? Is there an ibeam adjustment?

I beam seems smooth, no glue under the cutting strip. Short of tapering the cutting strip I am out of ideas.

Pcut 24"

thanks Bill

Try different blade depths and down pressure settings. Blade should barely be sticking out of the holder, and a good pressure for vinyl is 120-150.

Thanx for the reply Ken

I went back to square 1, started the set up all over again.

As you look at the cutter it would cut deeper on the left side.

To get it test cut on the right, it would cut through the vinyl on the left.

Eventually I ended up putting  2 layers of vinyl on the cutting strip on the right end .

1 is 2" long and the next is 4" long to giv it a "taper"

Blade is out of the holder very little , 1/2 a c/card or even less.

pressure 95

speed 40

offset is 0.00mm.

cuts 1/2 " script that has very few tags and weeds very good.

My solution may not be the correct one but it cuts good and thats all I am

worried about.

Thanks Bill

Very clever. I am wondering if the cutting strip was just not cut right.....even if it was off a fraction, it would cause uneven cut depths.

I noticed my Pcut not cutting right either. It really hasn't caused any big problems but it is a problem when weeding. I have been thinking it is the cutting strip but I haven't ordered a new one yet. My cutter has hardly been used since I got it.

I had a PCut sent back a couple of weeks ago for uneven cut depths. Would cut fine on the right, then cut deeper as it went to the left. I took it out of the box and set everything up with material and the blade holder and blade depth, then ran a test cut for the full width of the unit. Nothing.....cut even for me all the way across, so it may have something to do the way customers are setting the blade depth or the blade holder.

This is a difficult one.

I have been selling cutters now for 21 years.

And this problem pops up from time to time.

99 times out 100 it is one of two things or both

1. Too much blade sticking out.

2. Cutting strip is damaged or has popped up on one side or even in the middle.

I know both of these have been mentioned above.

Blade Length

However please check how much blade is sticking out and REDUCE the length until it DOES NOT CUT.

Then extend it until it does cut.

The cutting strip.

Get down so that your eyes are level with the strip.

If you look carefully you can see it bulge up.

This is where the problem is.

I am assuming the top of the strip is undamaged.

If this does not help then as Ken says it is usually something the user is doing.

Although it does happen (uneven cutting) it is virtually impossible to happen because of the way the cutters are made.

Everything is spring loaded to even out any differences so that you do get only even cutting.

Other things that i have found over the years however they are unlikely to be the problem here.

1. vinyl is much thicker or thinner along one side.

2. the backing paper of the vinyl is uneven in thickness.

Hope this helps as it is a frustrating problem.

Jerry from SignBlazer.

Thanks Guys.

It has been cutting very nice but this weekend I will use your cutter setup and see what happens.

:thanks:

I am having nothing but problems with the cutter.  Uneven cutting, blade holder all screwed up....cuts deep on the left and shallow on the right when looking from the finish cut side.  This makes it very difficult to adjust the blade.  The diagram in the book is no help as our holder looks nothing like it.  We have a PCUT 630.  Maybe someone has some suggestions besides band aides.

Thanks

I had a PCut sent back a couple of weeks ago for uneven cut depths. Would cut fine on the right, then cut deeper as it went to the left. I took it out of the box and set everything up with material and the blade holder and blade depth, then ran a test cut for the full width of the unit. Nothing.....cut even for me all the way across, so it may have something to do the way customers are setting the blade depth or the blade holder.

So i am a complete newbie, so bear with me, but how do you set up the blade depth and how do you set it up in the blade holder. We have a spring loaded blade holder with a screw on cap on one end. We can adjust how much of the blade is visable by adjusting the screw on cap, but that doesn't really change how far down the blade sticks down from the holder overall as the base of the blade holder is clamped down to the arm. All this is doing is covering up the blade. When putting the blade holder into the arm on the unit it seems logical that you would put it in from the top down until you reach the stop. You can clamp it in at that point and adjust the bottom cap, but like I said, that doesn't change the blade depth, just how much is showing out of the bottom of the blade holder. So since the blade depth is pretty much constant we just tightened the cap on all the way and let it rip. When we run a test cut it is just cutting all the way through the paper. Am I missing something? I am sure there is something we are screwing up, but it is late and my brain isn't working right so I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

Chad

We are having the same exact problem.  We adjusted our blade by adjusting how deep the blade holder sits inside the carrier and tightening it using the thumb screw at the desired height.  This is crazy because we need to be able to adjust it in micrometer increments.  Just more precise.  Still, the left side cuts all the way threw both layer including the backing on the left and on the right cuts just the vinyl (perfect) but only by place two strips of vinyl on the cutting strip (right side only).  Down pressure 135 and speed 40.  We cant figure this thing out.  We have already wasted probably 50 ft. of vinyl testing this thing.

Guest sciondrgn

These are my setting on my Pcut, hopefully they will help.

-Blade Is placed in the back slot on the carriage and lifted about 1cm up

-Blade offset (Set in Software is .25)

-Cutting Avery Vinyl (3.2mil) Downforce is 85

-Adjust the blade depth sticking out about 1/2 the width of a credit card

-Speed varies depending on what im cutting

Here is a pic as well, Hope this helps some.!  Just from using this machine you will have to adjust downforce depending on what type of material you are cutting. I have noticed that it will vary by brand because of thickness.

post-0-12986514715219_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986514728348_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic as well, Hope this helps some.!  Just from using this machine you will have to adjust downforce depending on what type of material you are cutting. I have noticed that it will vary by brand because of thickness.

I saw your picture after I posted this. I appreciate that for sure. I guess I still don't understand how to adjust the blade depth, Do you do it by unscrewing it the cap on the bottom? Why does that make a difference since it is only adjusting the cap and not how far down the blade is sticking down.  Does the cap actually stop it from going down as far?

Thanks for your help.

Chad

Guest sciondrgn

I saw your picture after I posted this. I appreciate that for sure. I guess I still don't understand how to adjust the blade depth, Do you do it by unscrewing it the cap on the bottom? Why does that make a difference since it is only adjusting the cap and not how far down the blade is sticking down.  Does the cap actually stop it from going down as far?

Thanks for your help.

Chad

Yes, The blade is in a fixed position in the holder, when you unscrew the cap it essentially covers up more of the blade, just unscrew it until its just barely sticking out and give that a try. On mine the black cap is just resting on the Black "O" ring inside of threads.  You will need to readjust every so often if you change medias alot.. I generally cut with Avery vinyl and I barely touch it unless im trying out different brand or different thickness in what im cutting.

Yes, The blade is in a fixed position in the holder, when you unscrew the cap it essentially covers up more of the blade, just unscrew it until its just barely sticking out and give that a try. On mine the black cap is just resting on the Black "O" ring inside of threads.  You will need to readjust every so often if you change medias alot.. I generally cut with Avery vinyl and I barely touch it unless im trying out different brand or different thickness in what im cutting.

We shall give it a try and see what we get.

Thanks,

Chad

Sciondrgn,

I noticed in the photo the blade carrier isn't seated down completely against the arm..

Guest sciondrgn

Sciondrgn,

I noticed in the photo the blade carrier isn't seated down completely against the arm..

Correct it is about 1CM raised in the base. If placed all the way down the blade drags along the cutting strip.

Hmmm.. wonder why that is, I have about 3 mm below the bottom of the carrier and the strip

Guest sciondrgn

Hmmm.. wonder why that is, I have about 3 mm below the bottom of the carrier and the strip

See my response to Ken in the Instructional Section for the Blade issues.. It seems to vary depending on the machine, As Ive seen different style blade holders along with different setups, Its just seems to be finding what works for that machine and its not uniform across the board for each model.

I have also just posted a doc in the instructional contributions section that assists in adjusting the blade depth.

the cutting strip is not as critical as you think.  even if there is a little runout from one end to the other, it won't matter as long as the height of the cutter holder is set correctly. you can check it however. in manual mode, run the cutter all the way to one side. take the blade out of the holder and with the cutter down, insert the holder (without the blade in) and set the holder where it barely touches the cutting strip. tighten thumb screw.  raise cutter holder and run it to the far side of the machine.  lower the cutter. it should barely touch the cutting strip, like on the other side. if there is a gap, you have some runout. to check the runout in the other direction, reset the holder and repeat the procedure from this side, back to the other. a little runout shouldn't matter, but your cutter should be set to the right height on the LOW end of the cutting strip. the pressure setting will act as a "spring" and allow the holder to raise a little on HIGH end. remember to set the knife depth first, then the holder position, then finally apply enough pressure to hold the vinyl down on the cutting strip. only enough to hold it down...no more.

the cutting strip is not as critical as you think. 

:bang: I just bought one  :notsure: